Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin347

Universal furniture

kevin347
11 years ago

I was in costco and saw a Bedroom furniture set made by Universal Furniture, it's called the West Indies bedroom collection. They used to sell this on their website too but I no longer see it. The total cost for King bed, chest (they have 2 varieties, 1 small one and 1 bigger chest, i m thinking about going with a smaller one since i am tight on budget) and night stand on sale. For 3 items the cost is around 1148$. I was curious about the quality of this company. It looked little solid compared to ashley. The cheapest set i could get from ashley is around 800$. Since I am not looking for lot of money to spend but at the same time, i dont really want very cheap furniture too, at least lasting for atleast 5-7 years. looking for a balance between price and quality. I also saw a better quality ashley set for approx 1300$. Only pain with costco is to go and buy load/assemble it yourself compared to buying from a shop who can deliver and assemble for you.

Let me know what you think about the quality of this manufacturer.

thanks

Comments (6)

• Denise1000
    11 years ago

Before you buy from Ashley I suggest you google "Ashley Furniture reviews".

I won't comment on Ashley's furniture quality but their customer service is beyond horrendous.

• Denise1000
    11 years ago

Before you buy from Ashley I suggest you google "Ashley Furniture reviews".

I won't comment on Ashley's furniture quality but their customer service is beyond horrendous.

• carolmka
    11 years ago

I have been looking at the West Indies collection too. It is a great price. Costco will deliver if you find a set online that you like too. I bought my mattress online from Costco.

• kevin347
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yea I know about ashley and that's why I am looking for other options where by spending few hundred more I could get lil better quality. Even though it says its Made in China, Costco had all this pieces on display and it looks much better with all drawers everything having metal glides, painted/finished interior etc. I am not expert and not sure but it says made of poplar solids and okoume veneers whereas ashley's was more of a cheaper feel to it, they kept saying engineered wood but it did not feel solid to me. There are other little higher priced items available from ashley which felt better over their cheaper set. Unfortunately Costco removed that set from online so only option is to buy in store now. Not owing a truck adds little bit of pain but I am willing to take risk..

Thanks

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Most of the case good furniture sold in the United Sates are manufactured in China. At the popular price point such as what you might buy from Universal and Ashley it would be difficult to find anything not made in China. As far as Ashley goes they are the largest or nearly largest supplier of furniture in the US. They must be dong something right or people would not be buying their product and stores would not be carrying it. I have visited both showrooms at the trade shows in North Carolina and they do have a varied and extensive selection in all catagories.

If you want to look at US made bedroom furniture you might have a look at Vaughan Bassett as an alternative.

In upholstery there are a lot of imports from China but there also are many US manufacturers. In fact I would say most of the upholstery sold in the US is US made.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

5 to 7 years of having to put up with cheap problematic furniture , you could be wishing that you would have purchased better quality when you had the chance. Their are other alternatives, bargaining with a local retailer, used, unfinished, and furniture outlets that all have better quality furniture. I best advice is if it feels and looks low quality then dont buy it at any price.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz