Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Process to Refinish Coffee Table

Posted by swimman (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 8:26

I'm in need of refinishing the top of our Stickley coffee table as we unfortunately left it unprotected for the kids to ravage. Next time will be different.

I plan to refinish it myself but having never done this, I have a couple of questions.

-Can I use an orbital sander to strip the tabletop potion or should I do all sanding by hand?

-I've contacted Stickley to determine where I can get their color locally. However, should I try to get a matching color at a local hardware store or any other thoughts on where to procure the stain?

Any other comments as I want the table to come out well and can bring it to a professional but thought this would be a good project for my son and I.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Process to Refinish Coffee Table

I'd start with something like Kleen Strip before I got too aggressive with sandpaper.

o
RE: Process to Refinish Coffee Table

No orbital sanders! They are much too hard to control. Is just the finish marked, or are there gouges requiring sanding? As the person above states, strip it first. You’ll have to do it outside: the fumes are very noxious. If you do have gouges, either sand by hand ( a coffee table is not that big) or use a belt sander. (I’ve refinished a lot of furniture, and only had to use an electric sander once, on an oak kitchen table that had been used as a cutting board.) Either way, sand only in the direction of the grain. If you cross the grain you will send too much time removing the scratches left from the sandpaper. Grade of sandpaper is dependent on how deep your scratches are. You can start with 100 if they are really bad. One they are completely gone, move to 200, etc. Finish with 400 (or if you’re me, 600).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here