Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tankertoad_gw

Can Sinuous Springs be a mark of quality?

tankertoad
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. My wife and I are looking for a fabric sectional for our family room and are ready to purchase one from Mathis Bros. in California. It's made by RC Furniture and their area of the store was next to Century, Henredon, Ralph Lauren, Drexel, and Bernhardt (upstairs from Klaussner and other less expensive lines).

The unit weighs a ton (I could barely lift it), the fabric is fab, the cushions are a down blend and the overall craftsmanship seems very nice. However, when I asked about the construction, after the kiln dried, doweled, screwed and glued bit, I was told it uses a sinuous spring system. I'm under the impression from these boards and my parents that tied springs are the be all and end all and sinuous systems are a sign of cost-cutting and lower quality/durability.

I pressed the salesman on this and he checked with the manufacturer's rep at RC who said the sinuous set-up is used on some of their pieces to balance the down blended cushions and they are spaced closer together than most. They have never had any problems relating to them and they and the frame are lifetime warranteed. If you go to their website at http://www.rcfurniture.com/construction.html

even their diagram shows such a set-up.

This sectional retails for almost $9000 (but is discounted). Is there something fishy going on here or is the "sinuous springs are junk" mantra more a general rule than a certainty? Can a high quality product still employ them in such a way as to shake off the stigma that is usually associated with them? I've only seen one comment here that thinks so and that was, "Actually a quality 5/4 hardwood frame that is designed for using 8 gauge sinous wire springs will outlast almost any 8-way hand tied springs."

Is this a red flag? Or should I feel safe in investing a comparatively large sum in a nice product that uses a maligned method of assembly? We really like it otherwise.

Comments (14)

• thecollector
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The Gold Standard has always been, and will continue to be, the labor-intensive, 8-way hand-tied spring system. It's expensive to do it right, and few companies do. When done correctly each spring is set into the deck webbing and attached, with various spring rates depending on what portion of the seat deck its located. They are then tied together (8 strings per piece) and knotted at each juncture (not looped! - only knotting keeps the spring deck together if a string breaks).

I would not say that the use of sinuous springs should be a deal-breaker for you, because they can be OK, but they will never perform as well or last as long as a proper 8-way-tied deck.

• simplyjeff
    15 years ago

Sinuous springs can be used in both good furniture and bad. I was a buyer for a furniture chain for 8 years, and bought many items with both sinuous springs and 8 way hand tied. Sinuous springs can last just as long or longer than 8 way hand tied. Most people, however, find the 8 way hand tied to be generally more comfortable. In expensive upholstery the type of spring unit is often dictated by the style. On a style with a narrow profile (particularly on modern or contemporary styles) the 8 way hand tied may simply not fit. Also, European made furniture rarely uses 8 way hand tied springs any longer. In summary, sinuous springs are not a reason for disqualifying a piece of upholstery, regardless of the price.

• john_wc
    15 years ago

Sinuous springs in a $1,000 - $1,500 sofa are one thing but $9,000? Sinuous springs are a quality compromise. If they were truly "just as good" as coils, top upholstery companies would use them. What is the discounted price?

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Sinuous springs are a sign of lesser quality furniture. If the thing weighs a ton it is probably because there is a lot of MDF in there, which is very heavy. We have had this exact same experience with "heavy" furniture -- thinking it was a sign of quality, when it was just the opposite. I would stay away from that place.

We had chairs made that the manufacturer (also in CA) said had solid wood. I found out by a fluke that they contained a lot of MDF and when I confronted the maker of them a couple years later, they told me that by law they can say solid wood if a percentage of it is solid wood.

• tankertoad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far. The discounted price is 35% off - in the mid 5s. I spoke with a rep from the company and he told me it's kiln dried 5/4 Alderwood (because the cost of shipping woods like maple or oak from the eastern US to their facory in CA would be prohibitive and that there's nothing wrong with Alderwood or they wouldn't use it - I didn't find out if it's solid or ply), some places are dowelled and some are glued and stapled, the legs are screwed in (they use attached legs on their exposed leg chairs), the sinuous springs are 8 gauge and spaced four inches apart with two additional springs close to the arms for additional support and they looked at using individual coils but found them not to be any better (whatever that means). They use 2.0 foam surrounded by a 10/90 down/feather mix ("more luxurious than the 5/95 ratio many others use") and the fill has a five year warranty and the frame and springs are lifetime.

Is all that worth the price they're asking? Perhaps not, if all you're looking at is what I just listed. But since the fabric (one of hundreds from which to select) had a nice hand, the "ride" was very cushy yet supportive, the style was appealing, and we weren't going to fly to N. Carolina or sit on a gazillion other sectionals (I like to comparison shop, my wife - not so much), we decided to get it. It looks better and sits better than the EA sectionals costing a thousand less so we're at a good balance point. I was (and am still a little bit) trying to reconcile a medium-high priced product that is touted by those who stock it as "high quality" but doesn't conform to the usual (see Furniture 101) standards of "high quality".

If it fails in two or five years, I'll post here but I suspect it will last a good long time because it sounds well designed (enough) despite the reputation sinuous springs and Alderwood and screwed in legs have to many.

Finally, one other "review" I got was from one of their retailers who considers RC "entry level" in their store. The gentleman said it is a little overpriced for what you get (about the equivalent in quality to Drexel and below Century, which is below Baker, according to him). He said for the same price (full retail of 9K), Hickory Chair and Hickory White are better and Baker stuff on sale could maybe be had as well. But he still recommended it because it's an entry point to the quality of the rest of his lines with some more modern designs.

So, on sliding scale of "value", perhaps we did OK but not great. On the "married couple chose something they're both happy to look at and sit on" scale, I think we did a lot better :-)

• pkspigs
    15 years ago

IF you are going to spend that kind of money, why don't you get a Hancock and Moore sofa. It is truly the best you and buy.

• kateskouros
    10 years ago

for $5K you can wait until august, when stanford goes on sale again. that's my plan!

• Kristi Bradshaw
    8 years ago

I hate to tell you, but that lifetime warranty means it's warranted for about seven years. That's what the lifetime of a sofa is according to the courts. Anyway, from experience stay as far away from sensuous springs as you can. Actually run from them. 8 way hand tied springs are not only more comfortable, but they are more durable. Buy quality and you will never be sorry.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    8 years ago

You should not purchase a sofa based entirely on the seat springs, coil springs that are tied 8 way or sinuous wire springs. Currently the majority of higher end major brand names 8-way tied coil springs are nothing close to what used to be a mark of quality. A well designed 8 gauge sinuous wire spring will sit better and last longer than the majority of todays 8-way tied coil springs. I base that on more than 40 years of on-the-floor upholstery manufacturing experience and over 20 years of re-upholstery experience where you see exactly what makes a spring unit= 8-way tied coil springs or sinuous; last or fail over time.

• lookintomyeyes83
    8 years ago

I have an old French provincial couch with sinous springs and its my favorite couch to lay on, sleep on, and watch tv on. So I think it depends on what you like - get that butt of yours couch sitting! :)

• Nancy McHugh
    8 years ago

Thankyou ICustomSofa. Can you tell me what makes for a well designed sinuous spring. The only thing i can gleem from your comment is that 8 gauge is good. Can you tell me what else to look for in the sinuous? Can you guide me on what to look for in the seat cusions? I don't want down and don't want a hard cushion. It's just me here, no kids jumping on it or any big man using it every day.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Nancy, a solid hardwood seat frame to attach and support the springs and no less than 2 silent tie-wires running across and clipped to each spring.

I recommend a foam core over a coil spring unit. Either a Ultra-cell or HR foam with no less than 4" thick and 1.8 lb density, the higher the density the longer it will last, but the costs of the cushion goes up substantially as well. The density has nothing to do with how soft or firm it sits, thats in the next number= the ULD or ILD. A medium soft is around 22 - 24 ULD, a medium is around 26 - 28 ULD and a medium firm is 30 - 32 ULD. The manufacturer should be able to provide those specs. This foam core should have also a soft foam wrap (topper) over the core to add comfort/soft touch and fill out the cover. This soft wrap should be no less than 1" and be also the same Ultra-cell or HR foam, just a softer ULD around 18 ULD. If you want a cushion that will last and hold its shape, then avoid any polyester wrap or feather envelope. The reason I don't recommend a coil spring unit is not the spring unit that don't last its how it constructed as the wrap around the unit if not done correctly will break down in a short time and will loose its shape and support.

• rosanne_bono
    5 months ago

No one mentioned the screw on legs in the sectional in question. Regardless of the springs, good upholstery NEVER NEVER NEVER has screw in legs. They are always built into the frame, as an extension of the frame. I would never buy a sofa with screwed in legs. Look at used sofas for sale on sites like Marketplace. You’ll see plenty of sofas with crooked legs bent inward. That’s what can happen.

Also, I wanted to add to the comments about heavy weight. That does NOT signify quality. Ashley Furniture has shockingly heavy sofas BECAUSE of the inferior materials they use, which happen to weigh a ton. There’s very little good wood inside. They use plywood in their seats.

Believe it or not, Restoration Hardware is another example of high price upholstery with poor construction. They have improved in recent years, however upholsterers have told customers that their RH sofa was not worth the cost of recovering because the innards were so shabby and cheap, with horrific construction methods. And some of THEIR sofas also weigh a ton.

Personally, I would not touch the sectional in question. Too many red flags for me. If it were just one, I would consider it. But you’ve mentioned too many.