Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

Joss and Main

goodbyekitty
10 years ago

Or should I look elsewhere? I can't tell where the furniture is from or how it is made. Maybe I answered my own question.

Looking for a sideboard or a credenza for a dining room to hold tableware; napkins, table cloths, place mats, etc.

Comment (1)

• lydiaf
    10 years ago

I have been watching their website but haven't bought anything yet for a number of reasons. As you will read on other threads, they are owned by Wayfair. I've bought a few things from that website and had a good experience. But J&M does business a little differently. They present merchandise as exclusive and 'curated', with purposely vague product information. I am very leery of buying something of any real value with such a lack of detail about the product. (I think that tactic is by design so it makes it hard for you to comparison shop.)

But there is a little fuzzy marketing going on too. There was a particular desk lamp I saw that I really liked, although the lack of information was concerning. I saved the photo to my Houzz ideabook, with a notation of the model name, dimensions, suggested retail and J&M sale price. I didnt' buy it and 'lost' the opportunity after a few days. (You probably know that J&M sell things on a very time-limited basis. Designed, I'm sure, to get you to give in to impulse and "Buy it now or it goes away forever".)

Except it doesn't necessarily go away forever. That was probably about a month or so ago. Lo and behold as I'm perusing today, I see the lamp (it's unique enough that there's no mistaking that it's the same item, dimensions and description are identical.) Except it now has a different model name (now the "Cheswick", no longer the "Henry") The retail price is now showing at $447, formerly is was listed as $357 and the sale price is $181 vs $188.

I really dislike the gaming going on with their 'exclusive' merchandise. The same thing happened with an area rug I was watching. And I saw the identical rug listed on Overstock and RugStudio: similar pricing but much easier to do business with than J&M. While J&M's prices are usually ok, many of their items are not returnable. (I say 'usually' but happened to see one of the few name brand items for sale on their website the other day: Meyers Clean Day hand or dish soap, don't remember which. They carry that at Target and the local supermarket for about $5 and the J&M price was over $10. I about died laughing.

So that coupled with their marketing manipulation and the inability to do a search on their website (at least I haven't found a way) forcing me to scroll and scroll and scroll through tons of stuff I don't care about, has left me less than enthused about doing business with them. The Meyer's product sale tipped me over the edge. I don't think I'll bother with their website any longer. But that's just me.