Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

ISO mattress advice

annova914
13 years ago

I can't believe that once again I'm searching for a decent mattress/boxspring set but it's true. Two years ago I bought a Serta firm (supposedly) queen set and had the mattress replaced twice. Each mattress sagged after a month of use (and I don't weigh a lot). A year ago I bought a Sleep Number C2 bed and that mattress continues to sink in the center so I have to climb up and over the edge to get out of bed. I'm constantly hitting "firm" to firm up the stupid mattress but you can see the sunk in area when you look at the bed. *So*...now I'd like to try the Stearns & Foster brand. Isn't it supposed to be very good? I'm really tired of aching all over when I get out of bed each morning. Does anyone have suggestions on a good, firm, Stearns and Foster (w/o any of those pillow tops)? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• maycookies
    13 years ago

I have a mattress from Serta too that is terrible. Let me know what you find along the way. I am really thinking of moving to a memeory foam mattress that you buy online. Tired of the "S" brands. Had a Sealy, lasted 2 years, had Stearns and Foster, lasted 3 years and this Serta I have is for the birds. I have bought the last brand name mattress for a while. Also, don't think about Restonic. I had one of them also, that lasted maybe a year. Been married for nine years and this will be mattress number 5.

• denali2007
    13 years ago

After seeing so many postings here about latex mattresses, I decided to go for it. No aches or pains or tossing or turning every night.I decided to go with an online company called SleepEZ. They were wonderful and Shawn will chat with you to help you choose the right latex firmness. After choosing a combination, my mattress was here in a week(east coast) from AZ. You can customize each side of the bed also.If you don't like the feel you can send it back and get something different.

You could go to a local mattress store and try out some of their latex mattresses and see if you like it. Also do some reading on latex.

Another good site is www.flobeds.com A tad pricier tha sleepez but good info. What I like about both of these is the fact that you can customize the mattress.

Here is a link that might be useful: sleepez

• maycookies
    13 years ago

Spoke late this afternoon with driftawaymattress.com. I am trying to decide what to do. My sister has a latexx mattress and am not a huge fan of it.

• annova914
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My concern about latex mattresses is that if you're prone to nightsweats or your house doesn't have the best AC system or you live in the south (summer humidity!)...the latex mattress can be unbearable. Maycookies' comment about Stearns and Foster concerns me...for some reason I thought that brand was one of the best. One thing else that bothers me is that mattresses seem to be made today so that you can't flip them. What in the world is going on with mattress manufacturing?

• maycookies
    13 years ago

My Stearns and Foster was terrible. The quilting started to come through the stitching on the fabric. I have searched high and low to find a mattress that is basic with no quilting. I called a friend of mine that used to work for mattress retailer and he told me the mattress are made cheaper everyday to compete with the overseas market. Not sure what I am going to do, but I know maybe small mfg will be better built then the hopes of these big names that use bad quality. I really have been thinking about buying a less expensive mattress and see what happens. Last one cost me over $1300.

• beaniebakes
    13 years ago

Check out the forum on www.whatsthebest-mattress.com for enlightening info on all the 'S' mattress companies. There's a definite bias toward latex, but still a wealth of information. After six months following that site, I took the plunge and made my own mattress -- yes, you read that correctly -- by purchasing a latex mattress core, latex topper, and mattress cover from foambymail.com. Then I added a Cuddlebed topper from Costco. The total cost, including shipping, was around $650 for a full size mattress. Flobeds and Sleepez are two excellent sources of latex mattresses, with great customer service, but I was on a tight budget and had to go the cheaper route. Two years later, my mattress is as good as new and very comfortable. A 100% latex mattress does not sleep as hot as memory foam, at least that's my experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: what's the best mattress web site