Return to the Football Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the nfl network (nfln)

Posted by ross939 (ross939@sbcglobal.net) on
Thu, Nov 16, 06 at 22:48

The first time I saw this station on Dish Network (part of my basic 150 plan), I was a bit sceptical. I figured that the high paying networks would get the cream and NFLN would get stuck with the third string offesive tackle interviews and sucky low market games. Man was I wrong. This is turning into one of my favorite sports channels. I have three kids and my wife and I work full time so I don't get a chance to watch many games anymore, so I particularly enjoy the NFL Instant Replay, where they take the top couple games of the week, edit out all the timeouts and pauses between plays, they cut in postgame interviews of players, coaches and ad in conversations cought on camera between coaches and players that you would never see in a live game. It's almost like watching a cross between an old NFL Films video and a live game. This network offers a great product and I predict that it will be a much bigger part of the future of NFL games on live TV. I can even see a day when The NFL is totally off commercial TV and on just a couple pay networks (Hope that doesn't happen though.).
--John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the nfl network (nfln)

"I can even see a day when The NFL is totally off commercial TV and on just a couple pay networks (Hope that doesn't happen though.)."

Although some say that there are no guarantees in life, I can absolutely positively guarantee that would NEVER happen. The money that the networks pay NFL for the rights to televise those games are mind boggling. I forget the exact $ amount but if my senile memory serves me correctly, I believe the figure is in the double-digit BILLIONS. I think just looking at the sheer economics of it all would make limiting viewership to a few pay channels pretty impractical, if not fairly impossible.

I agree with you about the NFL network. When it first came out, I assumed it would be another worthless TV channel thought out by some out-of-touch TV executives. It has been a pleasant surprise.

o

We love it! One thing I really enjoy (along with everything else) is Mike Pereira's Official Review Segment.

It sure is nice to watch in the off season too - helps with the football withdrawal symptoms .....

Cindy

o

Generally, bad commentators do not bother me too much as I can usually tune them out as I have had to do in the past with people like Boomer Esiason, Dennis Miller, Chris Berman, Jerry Glanville, etc.... but Bryant Gumble's whiney voice is just wayyyy too much.

So is it just me or does he really SUCK at being a play-by-play guy???

o

I don't get the NFL Network where I am. Time Warner Cable refuses to pick it up.

o

I love NFL Network! Couldn't see the Tuesday night game with out it (How about those 49er's!!!!)

semper_fi
~ Bryant Gumble's whiney voice is just wayyyy too much. ~

You took the words right out of my mouth! And he doesn't know *#@% about football! He is always saying something total out of text and the other guy is alway correcting him on names, then rolling his eyes as if to say "could they have teamed me up with anyone flakier?" I am pretty good at tuning out irritating sounds but he ALWAYS come though loud and clear.

Hopefully this will be the only year and he doesn't have a 10 year contract! Maybe if enough of us write and complain, they will take the hint? LOL

Marie

o

Phew! I was starting to think that I was the only one that felt that way. ;-)

Marie, a fairly reliable source has told me that Mr. Gumble will not return in the same capacity next year. It's bad when he makes Cris Collinsworth, one of the bigger weasels in broadcasting, look like an absolute genius!!!

o

yeah, I vote Gumble off the set, too. Funny, he wasn't to bad in his analyst gig... but as a comentator he sucks!

o

Does anyone know--if your team's game is schedule for NFL network, is it also shown on a local station? Otherwise, local fans who don't have NFL network won't get to see it.

o

Sorry but if you are out of market, you won't see your game. The NFL chose to take games off regular broadcast TV to make even more money (like owners and players don't make enough already!). I hope they come to their senses soon and put the network on Time Warner's sports tier. If the network is that great, it will be an easy sell to NFL junkies like me!

o

i really want this channel.

o

Out of all the minuses I encountered with Dish Network, the NFL channel was the only shining star. Fortunately we maintained our subscription through football season but had to cry uncle in February due to impossible bills via AT&T. We now have Charter cable and as a whole are much more satisfied except that I don't believe they carry that specific network. Oh well, gotta take the bad with the good.

o

yeah, I vote Gumble off the set, too. Funny, he wasn't to bad in his analyst gig... but as a comentator he sucks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Football Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here