Return to the Football Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What coaches do you like?

Posted by ralf58 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 23:42

So far I'm liking our coach, Lovie Smith of the Bears, although he still has a pretty short career as a head coach. He's got a very even temperament, but he's not soft on players. And he's bringing the team around.

For other teams, I really like Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, Jeff Fisher, and Herm Edwards. They seem like they know what they're doing, but they aren't out to hog the spotlight.

Gruden is funny when he puts on his Chuckie face, but I don't think he's quite the boy genius he was painted at first. I think he was too hard on Chris Sims earlier this season. Young QBs have a steep learning curve. Now he can start ragging on the new kid.

Parcells, Cowers, and Shanahan annoy me. Parcells is too abrasive, Cowers is too loud, and Shanahan seems sneaky--and often has players who hit dirty.

And what's up with the Packers and their mania for coaches named Mike? (Holmgrem, Sheman, McCarthy)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What coaches do you like?

LOVIE FOR PRESIDENT!!

o

LOL. But if he ran for president, he wouldn't be coaching Da Bears anymore.

o

Of course, I love Lovie because he's the coach of my team. And I agree, I like his laid back but not a softie approach.

I'm loving that I'm finding some people that share my love of Da Bears!

o

I am a HUGE PArcells fan!

I loved him at the Giants and the Pats. Hated to see him leave, but what really hurt was that he went to the Jets and took C-Mart with him.

Now that he is in Dallas, I am thrilled to root for the Cowboys!

And yes, it was painful to watch that game today..... sheesh! Bledsoe looked like he was made of stone.

o

Hasn't Bledsoe always looked like he was made of stone?

Maybe Parcells will start Tony Romo soon.

o

Are you referring to his (Bledsoe's) inability to move his feet? Used to drive my DH crazy.

We love Belichick. Aside from being a great coach, he is endlessly amusing. He gives a press conference and says nothing (listen to him, he says NOTHING. It's great). He dresses like he is going outside to clean the gutters.

o

sue, does he ever wear anything but a gray hoodie? LOL

o

Favorite NFL coaches:
Mike Shanahan, Denver Broncos
Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans

Favorite College coaches:
Dan Hawkins, Univ. Of Colorado (formerly coached Boise State)
Lloyd Carr, Univ. of Michigan

o

I like listening to coach's press conferences.
Some of the best have been:

Jim Mora "Playoffs?!? Playoffs?!?"

Bill Parcells

Mike Ditka

o

Then there is the Belichick post game press conference. I say "THE Belichick post game press conference" because there is only one that he does over and over. "That is a really good fotball team that we played today ...", "We played pretty well today, but we have a lot of work that needs to be done in all four phases of the game ....", " ... it is what it is", ...

What is different all of the time are his interviews for upcoming games. The guy will take a piece of chalk and start showing what the other team is going to do and will be writing the other teams players numbers and refering to them by their first names. Then he will tell the reporter how he intends to beat the team and damn me if he doesn't do exactly what he says he'll do.

o

My favorite coach is a retired one. Bill Snyder formerly coach of the KSU wildcats. We are having a mediocre year. Still need to win a game or two to get a bowl bid. Some folks are already riding the new head coach. Sorry, right now my 52 year old brain can't think of the new coach's name. Coach Snyder sent a letter to the media and several of the CatBacker clubs saying in essence, "lay off the guy and give him a chance." Coach Snyder went 6-16 his first 2 seasons. When he finally got the ball rolling he took us to a bunch of bowl games and a Big-12 championship. Yet, he still has the class to want the fans to give the new guy the same patience they gave him.

Herm is doing a great job with the Chiefs. All he has to do is stop his players' brain farts and he'll be really great.

o

Wow, that is a class act.

o

bigmike, The new coach of the wildcats is Ron Prince.

I also liked Bill Snyder in Manhattan. Ron seems too me to be agressive and cocky so far, but it's too early to tell what the wildcats next few seasons are going to be like.

On the Pro side, Herm Edwards in K.C. is doing a great job so far. I like the Defense coach in K.C. Gunther Cunningham also.

Mike Holmgren-Seattle
Bill Parcells-Dallas
Brad Childress-Minnesota
And I have to back my pack Mike McCarthy-Green Bay

Neal

o

I'm a Tony Dungy fan here...with Bill Parcells comin' in second.

o

I've posted on this topic once before but I failed to mention a true coach of integrity, Coach Dan McCarney of the Iowa State Cylones. Well I should say former coach anyway. He has just announce he will be stepping down as head football coach.

I'm sadened to hear this as he was ISU's winningest coach.

Any ISU people out there??

Here is a link that might be useful: McCarney steps down

o

Have you all heard the word about Bill Walsh? I guess he has leukemia. :-(

It's kinda funny with all those Packers coaches named Mike. As a stockholder I am pleased to see the improvement under coach McCarthy. One more win and they'll have as many as they had all last year. Last week's loss to Buffalo was frustrating but these things happen with young teams - both players and coaches.

o

Bill Walsh has always seemed like a good guy.

o

Bill Walsh was indeed a great coach... certainly changed the look of the game with the West Coast offense. Most don't realize that Bill was quite the red ass in his day. There was a story told by Joe Montana that after an especially rough practice session he found himself sitting in the hottub tank with Ronnie Lott, trying to soak out the day's bumps and bruises. He said they both just look at each other, in a state of numbed shock and asked, "Do you think we'll make the cut?" Imagine that, two of the greatest players to ever play the game both having serious doubts about whether or not they'd even make the team. That was one thing about Bill, apparently, you never really new where you stood with him and you never got too comfortable with you position... he wouldn't allow it.
--John

o

Well said John. One of the best (if not THE best) X and O coaches the game has ever seen. A true mastermind. Many of the coaches already mentioned in this thread actually came up the ranks under his wings.

Hopefully he can beat this disease for a longggg time to come.

o

You can't have a discussion about the greatest coaches of all time without mentioning Tom Landry and John Madden. I really liked both of these guys. Talk about two guys at the opposite ends of polar extremes. Landry with his suit and tie,and he always had the hat. I don't think I've ever seen Landry on the sidelines without his hat, in constant check of his emotions, then on the other side, John Madden, with his XXXL Raider Polo shirt that always looked like he just grabbed it out of the dryer. His hair going everywhere, bouncing around, throwing clipboards. Now those were the days!
--John

o

On Nov. 13th '06, I wrote:

"Hopefully he can beat this disease for a longggg time to come."

Rest in peace Coach Walsh.

o

Did I skip through too fast or did no one mention Joe Gibbs? I'm not that much a Redskins fan but I thought the team that routed the Bills in '92 or whenever was one of the most solid, flawless teams I had ever witnessed. When he was on, I daresay there was none better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Football Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here