Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me decide: hickory or quarter sawn white oak for kitchen

Posted by bellacucina (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 23:46

We have a teen, a tween and Bella (our dog) - - I was planning to install quarter sawn white oak in our kitchen & family room, until I compared prices with hickory and found it actually is cheaper (at least on the countryplanks site). It's also reportedly 41% harder than oak, but slightly less stable (8.9 compared to 10.9 or something like that).

Would hickory be better for my dog's nails? We don't wear shoes in the house, but we do play with Bella. Would this factor of stability lead to potential problems with gapping?

I think both woods are beautiful, and would probably stain them - - I've ordered cream painted and dark cherry stained cabs and like a traditional/transitional/contemporary style.

Thanks for any advice or help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me decide: hickory or quarter sawn white oak for kitche

Dh and I had hickory at our previous house and liked it very much. Now, in our new home we have white oak and I really can't tell any difference in the "hardness". We have a dog and have always had one on both floors and our dogs' nails scratched the hickory just the same as the white oak as far as I can tell. The difference may be that the hickory is a more "busy" pattern than the white oak so that you can't see the scratches as well. Which is the main reason I didn't want it again; it has so many variations in color in the wood I wanted something a little more "calm".
Hope this helps!

o

Thanks twotogo - - our gc is pricing 4" wide white oak for us. I'm hoping the price is low enough so that I don't feel compelled to purchase it myself on the internet. We have oak in our adjacent dining rm and foyer - - so I am comfortable going with oak -- just so many options to choose from; I'm driving myself and DH nuts!

o

I have been debated Hickory or
Quarter

Sawn
Oak for a arts craft kitchen , does anyone have an idea which would look better for a country type kitchen thanks dawn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here