Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tansunny_gw

protecting wood floors and rugs

tansunny
13 years ago

I actually have 2 questions.

I recently got my wood floors refinished in living/dining room, hallway and 3 bedrooms. We previously had carpet over it.

In the living/dining room I have put felt pads on the bottom of all surfaces. The couch/chair in the living room are also at least partially on an area rug. The dining room furniture will be on an area rug when I can find one I like.

First question-where do I buy solid color rugs? I need one for the dining room and I need solid runners for the bedroom. I am having great difficulty finding any without patterns, but we already have other patterns in the room.

Also, what do we put on the feet under the bed to keep it from sliding? Our bed is wood and it is a style that is not designed to have a dust ruffle of any sort used with it. The feet are visible at all times. We put felt on it, but did not realize this also allows the furniture to slide pretty easily.

Comments (6)

• calimama
    13 years ago

We have found IKEA to be a good source for solid carpeting. You can also go to any carpet seller and have a remnant of wall to wall carpeting bound to the size that you need, probably a lot cheaper than rugs. You can get adhesive pads for the bottom of the legs that are non-skid. We have found though that the plain adhesive ones don't stick to the legs as well as they stick to the floor, so if you can get the kind that have a recessed nail hole definitely go with those!

• tansunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not really interested in piece of carpet that is cut up. To me a nice rug and a piece of cut up carpet have different textures. That said, I haven't been in a carpet store lately, so I may be crazy.

As for the furniture pads, do you have a brand name? Can I order them online? I have looked at Home Depot, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond and ACO (Michigan). All I have seen is felt or some giant rubber cups. I have also looked on Amazon.

• echo-flooring
    13 years ago

I have an answer for you but will get banned for posting a name. You actually have two great options. One is a major manufacturer that offers solid rugs and the other is a cheaper way to get exactly what you want. I used to help people by looking up stores in their area that could service them but have been banned for doing that. I may go to internet jail for telling you this much. I have numerous published articles but have been insulted by this forum for trying to help people with the knowledge i have gathered over a life time and use to educate, and save people money.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I had the problem of sliding furniture on my wood floors. I found that using Rubbermaid (or other brands) of shelving "liner,"which comes in rolls, keeps them from sliding. I don't remember the exact name, but it is the kind that keeps dishes from sliding on cabinet shelves. It is a very thin rubber. I buy it in the beige color that matches the floor most closely, cut it double the size of my furniture legs, then fold it over so it is doubled. (it sticks to itself better than to the floor). There is no real "sticky stuff" on it, it's just very non-skid. Keeps the furniture where I want it and is not really visible at all.

• User
    13 years ago

The product name is rubber caster cups - they are the things to put under legs to protect the floor. If you can, find those made of hard rubber - not the hard plastic type.

• ellessebee
    11 years ago

I also need something to protect wood floors but from stools and chairs sliding in and out from the table and island counter. Beautiful newly finished floors and I'm afraid they'll look horrible after a month of real life. The island separates the kitchen from the dining room and we couldn't easily use a different flooring material there and we don't want a dirt-collecting rug under the dining room table. Any ideas? Would really love something like a huge clear mat - the kind they use for office chairs:)