Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood vs. engineered wood floors

Posted by kassikolo (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 23:41

What is more durable and scratch resistant?
Cant decide what to install in our house that we are building

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood vs. engineered wood floors

The prefinished wear layers are much thinner, custom finishes end up about the same thickness in total. The main difference would be the custom finished take a bit of time to cure, ~ a week for water based and up to a month for oil. During that time they are more likely to mark, however the cure percentage is much higher the first days and tapers gradually from there.
For me as a contractor you can not beat the appearance of a well done custom floor. I've put them in my houses every time.

o

Sorry I forgot to answer your primary question.
Engineered floors are much more stable as moisture levels fluctuate. The newer sawn veneer floors are vastly superior to the rotary cut veneer products and worth every penny in price difference.

o

Unless things have changed in the last few yrs factory finished floors tend to have a higher resistance to abrasive wear than site finished floors. Aluminum Oxide can be applied at the factory under controlled conditions where site finished floors can't. The 'wearable' portion of the wood can sometimes be as much on an engineered floor than with solid hardwood. Lots has to do with 'design', stain and other factors. Some people just hate the beveled edges and other love them. Some houses with slabs or other conditions don't lend themselves to solid hardwood so engineered is the only choice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here