Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Travertine Floor Issues, Uneven Grout Color

Posted by dar5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 23:33

In October, as part of our kitchen remodel, we had 18X18 honed travertine tiles with 1/16" grout lines installed throughout the kitchen, family room, hallways, bathroom and laundry area(approx. 750 sq. ft)

Note: we are using a GC who hired tile subcontractor.

Honed travertine was installed under cabinets, island, and in adjoining rooms. Travertine was sealed, grouted and left to cure.

Fix #1
Same crew tried to fix MAJOR lippage problems by replacing several tiles.

Fix#2
Crew #2 tried to fix SAME Lippage problems by replacing several of the same tiles, replacing additional tiles, and using a hand sander.

Fix#3 (Two weeks before Thanksgiving)
Crew#3 "the restoration experts" used the big machine with diamond polishing pads, sanded the entire surface area, resealed stone, added more grout to fix grout's uneven color and left major grout haze on tile for at least two weeks while other workers continued on kitchen.

Fix#4 (early December)
Crew#4 handwashed floor with mixture of 4 parts water/1 part vinegar to clean floor and remove haze.

CONTINUING PROBLEM: Floor still has uneven polish/sheen, but Lippage is gone; grout haze still noticible, grout continues to be at least THREE colors (Haystack, dark Tan, and WHITE). I think the White is Thinset, but I'm being dismissed by the GC and subcontractor.

Fix#5 (recommended by GC, as of today 12/28/10)
Buff travertine to polished finish and apply grout sealer to even out grout color.

Does anyone out there think Fix#5 will work? I'm too angry to have any perspective. Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Travertine Floor Issues, Uneven Grout Color

Grout sealer will make the problem worse normally. A grout stain will probably work. I would tell you the stain that I would recommend but we get banned from forum for helping people. This color difference can be one of two things..maybe three. Too much water during wiping....inconsistent water mixture...different dye lots of grout. There is an excellant stain out their that will work...it can even be color matched to the grout you expect it to be...

o
RE: Travertine Floor Issues, Uneven Grout Color

Thanks Echo-flooring...appreciate your feedback. Now they want to use Ager on the grout, and I'm 99% certain that is wrong, but husband is calling Tenax directly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here