Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stcy

New build, tape stains messing with my stained concrete plans...

ott2
10 years ago

Hi,
Hoping someone might have some much needed advice to offer�
We are finishing up a new build that has two areas planned for stained concrete flooring.
At some point in the build, a worker taped plastic to concrete floors to protect the surface. The tape was a really strong kind of tape normally used on roofing. The tape and plastic have been removed to prep for staining the concrete. There are stains everywhere where there had been tape. The concrete floor guys tried sanding the stains, and also tried a couple of products to remove the stains, but so far, the stains persist. The concrete floor guys will be out again in a couple of days, hopefully with some new ideas for removing the stains. GC is wanting to change to what he calls "plan B" to tile these areas. I'm not ready to give up my vision of stained concrete floors, but also can't have tape marks/stains randomly featured throughout these areas.

So�
- Any ideas on removing these tape stains so that i can get back to the original concrete color everywhere?
- If I can't remove the stains, is there something I can do to sort of "tape stain" the rest of the concrete so that I can get the base color to match the tape stain, and then do the decorative stain on top of that? Even if it makes the end result darker? (Does that make sense?)
- Can I have a thin layer of concrete laid over the existing tape-stained concrete to get a clean concrete to work with?

I can't believe that one little roll of tape can kill the stained concrete plan that has been in place for two years!

Any great GW ideas here? TIA!

Ott2

Comments (3)