Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White smartstrand carpet with 2 kids and a dog??? insane?

Posted by repaintingagain (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 20, 10 at 22:37

We are in the process of trying to decide upon a carpet for our family room. We have hardwoods, but I would like a large area rug (12x15) made. I have 2 young kids and a nice big dog. We come in from the garage into a small laundry room and often my little tots get to the family room carpet before I can grab their shoes off. My dog never takes his shoes off (har har).

If I had my druthers I would have a really light cream colored carpet. I see that Smartstrand has a lifetime warranty against stains.

Am I completely insane for considering a cream carpet with 2 young kids and a dog? If Smartstrand is as good as it claims to be than I really could go for it. I found a nylon with Stainmaster that I love, but they only have a warranty for 7 years against stain. That makes me nervous, so I'm thinking the lifetime warranty of Smartstrand should be a indicator that it is more impervious to stain, yes?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have a slew of questions about what to look for in a pad, how to know if I'm getting a good price, what kind of binding I should consider, etc. But I figure I'll start with what brand/carpet I should be looking at first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White smartstrand carpet with 2 kids and a dog??? insane?

I realize Smartstrand is a good, reliable, sturdy, and stain resistant carpet but have you ever seen an off white carpet hold up to kids and dogs?? Dh and I used to live in a small house by a river in Wa state and whenever our grandkids came to visit or we had wet weather for months at a time our carpet got so dirty and it showed!!! We had a sort of "sand" color and it looked nice for about one month! I don't think we had that carpet more than 2 years before we ripped it all out and put in hardwoods! If you are getting a room size rug why not get a colorful one that might hide the dirt better? I know what you mean though I love light colored carpet too but it is so annoying and tiring to see the dirt!!!!
Good Luck!

o

Yes. If you have kids and dogs you are insane for putting in white/cream carpet. Just ask my sister who has two boys and an elderly jack russell. Even with a no shoes/no food outside the kitchen policy her little green machine gets a workout.

o

Get a copy of the Smartstrand warranty and read it carefully. Lifetime stain warranties usually have several exclusions. Shaw Anso nylon stain warranty requires you to have the carpet professionally cleaned every two years as part of the terms of the warranty. Smartstrand's warranty may also have these terms.

o

Most carpet warranties specifically EXCLUDE homes that have pets, and yes, anyone who wants a white carpet is pretty nuts period. If it's too large to go in your washing machine, it shouldn't be white.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here