Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam71_gw

Help! Resista, Anso, Stainmaster....

pam71
11 years ago

In the need for replacing carpet in the whole house. We would like just one carpet. Split level home, so six stairs up and six stairs down. Two cats and a dog, no children. Very confused about what is the best for long term. Warranties all seem to be different and really want the best for not wearing too soon or collecting too much " stuff" . I know hardwood is best for that last concern, but for too many reasons, out of the question. Smartstand seems great, but concerned with long term performance. Most likely going to go with a multi-color vs. solid color. Price not the biggest concern. Any input would be helpful! Thanks in advance! Pam

Comments (6)

• DIYguy_FL
    11 years ago

Make sure you check out the SmartStrand Rhino Challenge that Mohawk created- SmartStrand is great for pets!

SmartStrand has built in stain protection, NOT topically applied, within the structure of the Triexta fiber itself. It will never wear or wash out

The rhino, essentially a moving set of furniture that literally weighed a ton, didn't make a dent in crushing the carpet. The resilient spring structure of the Triexta fiber withstood the rhino and looked as good as new when it was over. Mohawk even gave retailers a piece of the actual carpet to show customers when the challenge was finished.

Here's a link for more info on the rhino challenge:
    http://www.mohawkflooring.com/flooring-products/carpet/smartstrand.aspx

• pam71
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I know smartstand has a great product. I know the staining qualities are the best, but with no kids now or in the future, not my biggest concern.

• DIYguy_FL
    11 years ago

Gotcha. My pref is still that SS has the best long-term wear performance of any carpet around. Let me know what you go with!

• DanG4
    11 years ago

people often confuse the term 'wear' with looking good. Products with 'appearance retention' warranties imply it will look good and not mat down in traffic lanes, which is good. Wear guarantees mean that a certain percent of fiber won't wear from abrasive use, meaning it can look like crap but as long as it hasn't lost more than 10% of its face fiber its still ok. Don't confuse the two and better products that will look good will have an appearance retention vs wear warranty.

• pam71
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info DanG4. From your info, I was using "wear" instead of matting down. I have read both Mohawk and Shaws warranties and understand the 10% thing. Which sounds like one would never obtain. Looking at a few Shaw products now, move on up and laurel hill 111.

• pam71
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update, now I think we are liking either Anna Belle III, or designer twist platinum ( both from Shaw) . The wear rating is 4.25 for AB, and 4.0 for the DTP. Face wt. s are both over 50, with AB slightly higer. No twist count on the Shaw site. I think the DTP is an Anso Caress, and AB is an Anso. Both have the rx2. And soft bac. Any thoughts?