Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quarter round

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 22:11

Is quarter round normally tapered at doorways or tapered? Thanks for reading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quarter round

Do you a have a pic?

o

Sorry, I meant tapered as in 45 degree or blunt cut. To me it looks funny at 90 degrees, but previously it was at 45 degrees and it looks awkward to me blunt.

o

You can cut it 45 degrees or do a return.
It is a whatever style you prefer.

Sometimes you can just but it up to thick door casing.

It depends on the door casing thickness at thee outer edge and the baseboard and quarter round thickness stack up.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 20:29

o

I cut mine at 22.5 degrees. They're painted.

o

Forgive my igorance. What is a "return"?

o

I see, apparently there is no convention with how the door casing and baseboard meet either. I'm not doing this, a flooring contractor is. The door casings are pretty much flush with the baseboards (not perfectly). They installed quarter-round cut blunt that ended right next to the outer edge of the door casings. It looked "unfinished" to me so I asked them to change it. They said that in 20 years of floor replacements they have never cut them at an angle. It seemed far-fetched to me. In the rooms that they are not working in the quarter rounds are cut at an angle.

Given that the baseboards and door casings are undercut to make room for another layer of flooring, what might look best is to continue on with the quarter round to the INNER edge of the door casing either cut straight or an angle. The trouble with that is that the door casings vary a little in shape and in how they mate with the baseboard even though they appear to be the same style. That means some time-consuming carving if we go that way.

Photobucket

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

o

A return is a miter in the trim that than buts to the surface.

They are usually 45 degrees miters so the trim 'dies' in the surface it is mounted on.

o

Everyone kind of has their "way" of installing quarter round. Some like to straight cut the ends others like to taper the ends and others like to put a return.

Is there a correct way? I dont think so. I would think if you have quarter round in a different part of the house it would make sense to mimic how that was done.

o

ionized said, "They said that in 20 years of floor replacements they have never cut them at an angle."

You've got to be kidding.

90 degree blunt cut molding looks unfinished, no matter how you look at it. Quarter round, or what we call shoe molding, stops where the baseboard joins the door casing, as in your pic. Extending it past the baseboard would be a visual insult.

o

Yes, I doubt their veracity. I can see that it might be blunt-ended if it butted onto a door casing that was the same depth or deeper than the shoe molding.

o

For shoe molding I cut them at 22.5. A few times I nipped off half it at 22.5 (leaving 1/2 against the baseboard at 90). I picked that one up from other jobs and kind of liked it. Maybe that would be a good compromise for the ends of 1/4 round, too. You have to do a test piece and see what you think.

This post was edited by homebound on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 18:53

o

In the case of my walls, doors and floors, I am sure that there are 50 ways that are better than leaving it blunt like they did it the first time :-) It really looked moronic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here