Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

Quarter round

ionized_gw
11 years ago

Is quarter round normally tapered at doorways or tapered? Thanks for reading.

Comments (12)

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

Do you a have a pic?

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant tapered as in 45 degree or blunt cut. To me it looks funny at 90 degrees, but previously it was at 45 degrees and it looks awkward to me blunt.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You can cut it 45 degrees or do a return.
    It is a whatever style you prefer.

Sometimes you can just but it up to thick door casing.

It depends on the door casing thickness at thee outer edge and the baseboard and quarter round thickness stack up.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 20:29

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

I cut mine at 22.5 degrees. They're painted.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgive my igorance. What is a "return"?

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see, apparently there is no convention with how the door casing and baseboard meet either. I'm not doing this, a flooring contractor is. The door casings are pretty much flush with the baseboards (not perfectly). They installed quarter-round cut blunt that ended right next to the outer edge of the door casings. It looked "unfinished" to me so I asked them to change it. They said that in 20 years of floor replacements they have never cut them at an angle. It seemed far-fetched to me. In the rooms that they are not working in the quarter rounds are cut at an angle.

Given that the baseboards and door casings are undercut to make room for another layer of flooring, what might look best is to continue on with the quarter round to the INNER edge of the door casing either cut straight or an angle. The trouble with that is that the door casings vary a little in shape and in how they mate with the baseboard even though they appear to be the same style. That means some time-consuming carving if we go that way.

{{gwi:1570851}}

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

A return is a miter in the trim that than buts to the surface.

They are usually 45 degrees miters so the trim 'dies' in the surface it is mounted on.

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

Everyone kind of has their "way" of installing quarter round. Some like to straight cut the ends others like to taper the ends and others like to put a return.

Is there a correct way? I dont think so. I would think if you have quarter round in a different part of the house it would make sense to mimic how that was done.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

ionized said, "They said that in 20 years of floor replacements they have never cut them at an angle."

You've got to be kidding.

90 degree blunt cut molding looks unfinished, no matter how you look at it. Quarter round, or what we call shoe molding, stops where the baseboard joins the door casing, as in your pic. Extending it past the baseboard would be a visual insult.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I doubt their veracity. I can see that it might be blunt-ended if it butted onto a door casing that was the same depth or deeper than the shoe molding.

• homebound
    11 years ago

For shoe molding I cut them at 22.5. A few times I nipped off half it at 22.5 (leaving 1/2 against the baseboard at 90). I picked that one up from other jobs and kind of liked it. Maybe that would be a good compromise for the ends of 1/4 round, too. You have to do a test piece and see what you think.

This post was edited by homebound on Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 18:53

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the case of my walls, doors and floors, I am sure that there are 50 ways that are better than leaving it blunt like they did it the first time :-) It really looked moronic.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz