Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl flooring for basement

Posted by gangaft_agley (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 15, 10 at 21:59

I'm looking for vinyl flooring in simulated wood plank style for a basement. Water after a storm doomed the carpet there, and I want something I won't have to worry about. Thus whatever I get can't float; it must be glued down. That leaves out Adura(r) as Mannington now requires you float the stuff. Other recommendations I've had are Nafco(r) (Tarkett(r)) and StainMaster(r). The basement floor is linoleum tile. (Actually, I don't know what it is, but it's from the '50s, so I assume it's mostly asbestos, so it has to stay where it is.)

Would it be too much to ask for something not made from equal parts melamine and recylced metal from old dental X-ray machines made by child slave labor in rural Qidong?

Thanks,
Gangaft

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl flooring for basement

Hey there gangaft agley,

Mr. Jay here with The Home Depot.

It sounds like you would be interested in the vinyl plank floor called Allure/Konecto. They're made of non-toxic type materials, so your safety is assured. Do a google search for them to check out more info.

They are meant to float, but you could always glue them down with a urethane based adhesive. Just make sure to check the with the manufacturer though, as that may void any warranty on the product.

Hope that helps~

o

We have a Congoleum floor called Duraplank in our basement.It is a glue-down vinyl product and it has survived a couple of severe wettings. One human caused (someone let a sink overflow upstairs) and one caused by Mother Nature and a rain-barrel that was over come by the remnants of a hurricane. I'm talking MAJOR water both times. Floor dried out beautifully. Duraplank is not cheap...but it still looks great after being down for three years.

That window on the right side of the picture? That's the window-well that dumped the water on the floor. Filled up and the water came in over the sill. Luckily I came home to check on things...pulled the downspout out of the rain-barrel and got the huge puddle mopped up. (Also--we are lucky it didn't get as far as the rug.)

And here's a picture of the hall that was an inch underwater because someone forgot to turn off a sink while rinsing out a bathing suit:

No mold or mildew after we mopped up and dried out. I did run fans...but I'm not certain they were necessary.

melanie

o

Price for 400 square feet.?

o

4.50 Sq Ft Just DuraPlank approx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here