Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bit the bullet and painted ugly parquet!

Posted by wendy2shoes (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 21:24

First I took up 19 year old Berber, underlay, tackless, washed with TSP, primed, and painted with a dark chocolate brown. Looking forward to a dustless existence!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Oh yeah, replaced the trim too, with my handy mitre box. I know some people would say I should have refinished, but I hate parquet! If (when) we can afford a new hardwood or quality laminate, the floor will be good to go right over the paint. I glue gunned the trim, so it will pop right off.
Three bedrooms down now, one more to go.
Did the grand-baby room too. Very happy with the results..
Photobucket

Cheap fix to a dusty problem. (p.s. I'm 59..doing this on my own) The most work is getting the furniture shifted, and pulling up the "tackless" which also pull up chunks of the of the parquet with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bit the bullet and painted ugly parquet!

Oh, wow, that made a huge difference! Great job!

o

Nicely done!

o

You did a fabulous job. It looks great!

o

Looks gorgeous!
What brand of paint & color name and what type of finish...semi gloss? After priming, did you do only one coat of paint or more than one coat?
By the way...that rug in grand baby's room is really nice!
Where did you get it?
-Laurie

o

Hi Laurie..I used Rona's (a Canadian version of Home Depot) house brand paint "Sico" porch and floor in a latex porch and floor enamel, semi-gloss, colour "Espresso". Two coats would probably have done it, but I applied three.

Carpet, believe it or not, was from Walmart...39 bucks! I still have to do the master bedroom, and upstairs hall.
I wish I had done this years ago!

o

Thank you for the details!
You should be very proud of what you have accomplished.
Hopefully, you have access to a jacuzzi or something like Aleve or Tylenol to relieve aching muscles from all the work you are doing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here