Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heartspeace

Brazilian Cherry flooring

heartspeace
11 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with this Brazillian Cherry Flooring from Home Depot?

Home Legend Brazilian Cherry 3/4 in. Thick x 5 in. Wide x Random Length Solid Hardwood Flooring (19.26 sq. ft. / case)

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Home-Legend-Brazilian-Cherry-3-4-in-Thick-x-5-in-Wide-x-Random-Length-Solid-Hardwood-Flooring-19-26-sq-ft-case-HL810W/203303647/

Model:

HL810W

Internet/Catalog:

Home Legend Exotic Solid Hardwood floors express beauty and elegance, while the construction adds great strength and stability. This product has achieved Greenguard Indoor Air Quality Certification and has been tested for more than 10,000 volatile organic compounds, including formaldehyde, to meet these standards. The tongue and groove profile allows the flooring to be installed on and above grade. This exotic flooring adds unique accent to any decor.SpecificationsAssembled Depth (in.) :71.625 inAssembled Height (in.) :.75 inAssembled Width (in.) :5 inBoard Edging :BeveledBoard Form :PlankCan Be Used Below Grade :NoColor :CherryColor Family :BrownCommercial / Residential :ResidentialIndoor/Outdoor :IndoorManufacturer Warranty :55 Year Residential WarrantyPortion of product made from wood (%) :100Prefinished :YesPrimary Specific Wood Species :Brazillian Cherry Jatob (Hymenaea courbaril)Product Weight (lb.) :69Product Width (in.) :5Returnable :90-DaySecondary Specific Wood Species :Brazillian Cherry Jatob (Hymenaea courbaril)Square Feet per Box (sq.ft.) :19.26THD Hardness Number :4

HP

Comments (12)

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

Ill just say this. Spend the extra money and buy from a floor distributor. Stay away from big box stores

• Toni S
    11 years ago

We just put in three rooms of BC. Was afraid to get it from HD but even more afraid to install it ourselves. We have built or remodeled quite a bit of our home but the floors... I didn't want to mess with. They are fairly hard to cut and nail, compaired to oak. We had our local flooring store do it in three days.

It would be interesting to here of someone who has intalled BC from Home depot.

• justme4now
    11 years ago

Yes, I am a little late but maybe this will help someone .. someday!?

Brazilian Cherry 4" x 3/4"

All bought at Lowes and installed by a Lowes contractor.

Simply beautiful wood floors (Where carpet use to be) and a Great installer!

I have the one picture (2nd row from bottom, right side) of my parlor floor with the old carpeting and at the (top center) is the finished wood flooring.

The wood is actually a darker rich color than what I could get to show with my cheap camera .. (not to mention amateur pho-tog skills! 8)

The pictures show some before and after as well as during installation shots!

Here is a link that might be useful: BRAZILIAN CHERRY

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

JustmeforNow, thank you for sharing! I wish I saw this post earlier. I LOVE your Brazilian Cherry Floors! I LOVE the 4" wide board which was my favorite width in 2009 but I could not find a Brazilian Cherry Floor in this width in an engineered format which I need. Thank you for reminding how much I love the colors, variation and the fine grain in the Brazilian Cherry Floors!

• jakepyro
    9 years ago

He is a complaint I have filed with the Better Business
    Bureau:

Purchased Home Legend Brazilian Cherry Flooring and 2 weeks
    after installation, bubbling and peeling of the finish was noticed. The
    original flooring was purchased from Home Depot in Westfield Ma. on October 24,
    2014. The cost of the flooring was $2,451.44 not including installation, this
    was a special order product and was delivered to the home late November/early
    December. As recommended by the flooring manufacturers guidelines the flooring
    was allowed to acclimate to the home. We actually well exceeded the
    recommendations by leaving the floor in the home for several weeks. Within two
    weeks of installation we noticed some small peeling along the cut edge of the
    flooring. This was noticed as we were installing the baseboard trim. At first
    we thought this was just an issue near the edge and was not concerned. But as
    we were completing the trim work, more peeling areas were noticed. In January
    2015 we took pictures of the flooring issues and reported the problem to Home
    Depot at the Pro Desk. During the process we have worked with Christine and the
    store manager Michele L Minniear. We have also worked with Celeste from the
    Home Depot National Center and she has been very helpful, but after 4 months
    the issue has not been resolved. The areas peeling included along the edge of
    the boards, along with areas that started peeling/bubbling in the middle of the
    boards as well. After several weeks of working with Home Depot they sent out a
    flooring inspector and were told that there is no defect in the floor but it
    was caused by the humidity in the home. We were never allowed to see the report
    and are told the report is the property of Home Depot. Since this report we
    have been documenting the temperature and humidity both on the first floor
    (were the flooring is installed) and the basement. This documentation consists
    of two meters left in two locations 24 hours a day for several months now.
    Pictures of the meter along with a newspaper and the date have been taken over
    this time period and the temperature and humidity levels have been within the
    manufacturer's guidelines. The flooring has continually become worse over the
    last 4 months. Although we are not allowed to see the report, we have been told
    there is too much humidity in the house causing the floor to swell, but when I
    questioned Christine asking her to clarify, the story changed to the floor
    shrinking as the floor has some spaces between the boards. So I am not sure
    what is correct and what is not. As a carpenter for many years, having
    installed thousands of square feet of pre-finished flooring and working with
    wood it is normal for flooring/wood to expand and contract due to the
    temperature and humidity. Over the last several months the temperature and
    humidity have remained steady. We have noticed this issue is common with Home
    Legend LLC. There are many complaints against the flooring and it is routine
    for them to deny any flooring defect. The home in question also has Brazilian
    Cherry Flooring (one room over) from a different manufacturer and was installed
    nine years ago with no such issues. At this time we are expecting to to file
    legal action against Home Dept, The Store Manerger and Home Legend LLC as they
    continually blame the conditions of the home for the defects of the floor.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Jakepyro, so sorry about your problems with Home Legend Brazilian Cherry Flooring from Home Depot. I hope you are able to resolve the problem. Please keep us all updated. Thank you for the warning.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I agree with Ken Fisher that this has to be a finish problem or more boards nearby would be affected. Is this the engineered wood they sell at Home Depot?

• jakepyro
    9 years ago

It is marketed as a 3/4" solid Brazilian Cherry. But it is peeling like a laminate.

• PRO
    Carpet One Columbia
    9 years ago

Problem looks like poor finish bond. Typically the vendor/manufacturer would be responsible for the cost of replacing the affected boards. Pictures show only individual boards affected and not the entire floor - is that correct? You may consider hiring your own certified (NWFA/NOFMA) inspector. There are tests that can determine the integrity of the finish bond. I have had success with this strategy before and the manufacturer paid material, labor, and the cost of the inspection that contradicted their original inspector.

• jakepyro
    9 years ago

Only showed 2 pics, but there are multiple locations throughout the room. Home Depot has admitted there is something wrong with the floor, they are simply placing the blame on the condition of the house. We have humidity and temp sensors in the basement and in the actual room over the last several months and they are always within manufacture's spec. Thanks for the advice.

• justme4now
    8 years ago

A shame about your floors jakepyro.

Our floors (above) were from BR-111 manufacturers, solid wood and look better today than they did when installed.

(Years ago now)

Let us know what happens.

JM