Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Felt Glides for furniture

Posted by pai325 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 20:10

I am having engineered hardwood installed next week in the kitchen, dining room, and living room. My daughter has felt pads from Wal-Mart on the bottom of her furniture, and it seems they come off after a week and the furniture scrapes anyway. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to put on the bottom of the furniture? The bookcase and TV stand and china cabinet won't be moving anywhere much, so I don't think that will be a problem. But the kitchen and dining room chairs, and the recliner and loveseat might move a lot. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Felt Glides for furniture

We installed hardwood in June & my dining chairs and such have the felt stick on pads. So far I haven't had any come off. I dislike them because dog hair sticks to the small exposed glue, no matter that I sweep everyday. That said, it does protect my floors. I used other felt pads that get hammered in on some new end tables and they won't come off. Couldn't use them on other things, because I could not get the plastic things off the chair legs.

o

Ive boughten some felt pads in the past that have done this. A little glue on the pad will help.

o

Mine didn't stick either..
I did pick-up something like the attached (nail on)
but I have not used them yet because my floors are not done :(

I got them at Home Depot.
They also make self leveling and swivel types.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Felt-Guard-Pads-and-Slides/?cfilters[]=material=Felt&cfilters[]=features=Nail-On

o

The Shepherd Hardware ones in the pic with the rivets, rather than the nail ones, are the better choice. These are the type as manufactured as "SafeGlides" by Glitsa. The rivet is permanently embedded in the nylon body and cannot easily be dislodged in use, and the felt is over 1/8" thick. Once the felt wears down to the nylon body, they should be replaced. Felt glides are inexpensive and can help prevent damage to surface flooring.

I have yet to see the swivel type, but if they are anything like the nylon ones that Armstrong used to make...with felt added, then they would be excellent. We used to install the Armstrong floor protectors and then add self-adhesive felt pads to them for maximum protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here