Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mishyq

Small SFH - tile/stone vs hardwood area

mishyq
9 years ago

hello, i am seeking some feedback here on where to put my tile/stone vs hardwood since i am changing the entire flooring of my home now

i have attached a hand-drawn (not to scale) of the layout of the home - small SFH, first floor only. Front door of the home, when open, will lead to Zone Y. Please keep in mind my home is only a small SFH. i would say the first floor is perhaps 800 sq ft big in area. Thus, the flooring choice and how flooring is laid out is important to give the illusion of a bigger space

which plan is better?

"Plan A"
Zone Y + Zone B + Zone A + Zone X = tile/stone. lay them in a diagonal (diamond) shape pattern to visually-expand the space

Zone D = hardwood. lay them in a direction perpendicular to the length of the living/dining area space

"Plan B"
Zone Y + Zone B + Zone A + Zone X + Zone D = hardwood. lay them in a direction perpendicular to the length of the living/dining area space and keep the same direction throughout.

Under both plans, the toilet/powder room and Zone C (kitchen) will be in tiles/stones. I do not have a dilemma about this because i dont want hardwood in any of these 2 areas anyway.

thank you in advance for your inputs

Comment (1)