Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old ceramic tile floor

Posted by MsJannie (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 18:12

My house was built in the late 40's and I still have the orininal tile in the bathrooms. I would like give the bathroom an update and need advice about the floor tile. The tiles are in great shape but need a good cleaning, especially the grout. Any suggestions for cleaning up the grout without damaging the tile. The tiles are small with thin grout lines. One section of grout should be replaced but am also concerned with it not matching the rest of the floor. Would love to replace the whole bathroom, but it's just not an option right now. Any suggestions for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old ceramic tile floor

I've had success with baking soda. Sprinkle it on, add water to make a paste. Scrub it in a little then let it sit. I think I waited at least 15-30 minutes. Scrub and grinse (I used a rag to wipe the paste up and rinse). It's messy but worked really well.

There are also special tile and grout cleaners made by the tile industry that are acid based. That is hard on the grout so I'd try something milder first. Vinegar is a mild acid and is often used as a first resort before going to the heavier duty stuff. I believe I also recently saw a non-acid grout renewal cleaning product made by one of the tile product companies. I would stick with their products and not try supermarket stuff.

I might even be tempted to pour some vinegar on the baking soda paste before scrubbing and let it bubble up. That mixture is used for cleaning some things. Googling, I see that people have used it on grout and say it works well.

Here is a link that might be useful: vinegar & baking soda

o
RE: Old ceramic tile floor

You can put warm water in a spray bottle with a little vinegar. If you use the water and vinegar mixture, make sure you dry the floor as you go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here