Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sc_kathyc

Do you regret getting the 5 inch width on Hardwood?

sc_kathyc
14 years ago

I am reading so much about the wider planks "cupping" that I am beginning to 2nd guess my decision to go with a 5" width. I have selected Hickory, prefinished but still have another week or so before I place the order. This is new construction and we will make sure that the heat is on and that we allow time for the flooring to acclimate; but is that enough?

Just curious? How many people wish they had gone with 3" or 4". Does going to 4" make a noticable difference? Or, am I worrying over nothing? I really have other things that I can shift my stressing too, lol..

Kathy

Comments (8)

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

I love my 5" Andersen hand scraped hickory. It was installed two weeks before Christmas and no problems yet. We have gotten many compliments on it. :)

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I have 5" oak planks and haven't had cupping problems after several seasons of humid summers and dry winters.

• Karen Eagle
    14 years ago

I have 5" wide planks - prefinished engineered amendoim since July - so far no problems and I love the look.

• blueiris24
    14 years ago

We helped install a neighbor's prefinished 5" hardwood floor about 3 1/2 years ago - they have had no problems with it and love it.

• jrdwyer
    14 years ago

Cupping in solid hardwood floors is caused by some serious water problems or severe humidity issues. This is not a common problem for climate controlled homes if a solid wood floor is installed according to the manufacturer's directions.

What most people are concerned with is dimensional changes in width (causing gaps) caused by seasonal humidity changes. This can be controlled and minimized in most climates with the addition of moisture to a home in the heating season (humidifier or just not running the fan when taking showers, etc.) and a well running A/C unit in the cooling season. If the humidity stays between 40%-60%, then the wood won't change much in dimension. You can also chose a quarter-sawn product that will only change dimensions (width wise) 50% of normal flat sawn wood.

Engineered flooring is more dimensionally stable than solid wood flooring and is necessary in some situations.

Our 3"-7" wide solid R&Q red oak floor has not changed much (dimensionally) since I installed it in 2005. It is still very stable and secure, even though we had to do much sub floor flattening (with roofing felt) prior to installation. Our house/floors were built for carpet in 1982 (i.e. flat didn't matter).

Installing hardwood on a new flat sub floor would be easier and likely produce better results.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

I am reading so much about the wider planks "cupping" that I am beginning to 2nd guess my decision to go with a 5" width. I have selected Hickory, pre-finished but still have another week or so before I place the order. This is new construction and we will make sure that the heat is on and that we allow time for the flooring to acclimate; but is that enough?

Assuming it is acclimated and installed correctly and you keep your home at a reasonably stable humidity, cupping should not be an issue with a good engineered floor.

I own numerous flooring stores so I take this question extremely serious. Very simple in my mind. I would only use a 5 inch wide plank in my home under these conditions. It would have to be an engineered hardwood. If unavailable in an engineered, I would find another species or a type look in an engineered. I have 5 inch hickory in my home and love it...in engineered.

Under which conditions? I have plank flooring in my home -- flat sawn with boards up to 10" wide -- and it hasn't buckled at all. It barely gapped this winter. If dh hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have noticed.

• msgreatdeals
    14 years ago

I had 5" installed the beginning of Sept and very happy with it. No problems yet. I have Garrison white oak (distressed). Kitchen, family room and dining room. This was a glue down install.