Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need BR Carpeting

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 17:53

I've just read the "Mohawk" thread from March 2012. Any updates to the softstrand pro's and cons'? Anything further on vacuuming problems? I have a central vac with great suction -- no power assist -- have a 'carpet' attachment for this room. (I only use suction on my orientals.)

I need to buy a piece of carpeting 11 X 14 and have it bound for use in our MBR. (I realize I will need to buy 12 X 14 and waste a strip!)

I have at home a sample from Menard's. It's Mohawk 65 oz. plush @ $2.87/ sq ft. ("Twilight" is the store's name for the style, and the color is 08 - 'Mountain Moss'.) The twist strands look to be about 3/8 of an inch long (at most). Says it is "Everstrand" and Scotchguarded. (Why did I think Scotchguard had been outlawed?)

Advice on "Everstrand"? Says it is made from recycled plastic bottles. I am sensitive to chemicals. Problem?

We have a 13-year-old terrier with a maddening habit of eating 'carp' on the sly and regurgitating it at 3 a.m.

This is my first try buying from a big box store. I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks for all help and advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need BR Carpeting

EverStrand & SmartStrand are two great carpets from Mohawk.

EverStrand is a great value carpet and environmentally friendly ie the plastic bottles, actually an amazing story about how the carpet is made. Scotchgard is not outlawed and they're pretty much been the leader in providing a safe topical stain treatment.

However, that brings me to why I love SmartStrand even more.
Scotchgard will wear off over time because it is topically applied during the manufacturing process. SmartStrand's stain protection is engineered in the fiber structure so it's guaranteed to last for life. Great choice for homes with animals because it's so durable. (fyi-- SmartStrand Silk is a different line of carpets. It's not offered at big box stores right now, so you don't have to worry about needing a specific or different vacuum if you go with the SmartStrand.)

Hope that helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here