Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'knockoff' tile at Lowes??

Posted by otksaunt (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 17:47

Hi there. I am considering the American Olean Vallano collection tile for my master bath flooring and shower. I was at Lowe's looking at tile and found the exact same tile marketed under the Barella collection by American Olean. The tile colors/style is exactly the same but much cheaper at Lowes. Does anyone know if this could truly be the same tile and they sell it under a different name at Lowes? Thanks for any input and happy holidays to you!

Otksaunt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'knockoff' tile at Lowes??

otksaunt,

Manufacturer's typically make the same products for the Big Box stores and indepepndant flooring retailers, however they often sell them under different names. Sometimes the product specs for the Big Box stores are changed just slightly to give them a cost advantage. So in your case the tile thickness could be the difference between the two. It could also be the identical product with no difference.

Hope this helps.

Jason Goldberg

o
RE: 'knockoff' tile at Lowes??

Bottom line is to take 10 or 12 of the tiles and line them up vertically. See if there are noticable variations in the size. This will determine how well the grout joints line up. Also, eyeball down the edge of a few of them. Decent tile is FLAT. If they look "cupped," go somewhere else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here