Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-Staining concrete?

Posted by aimee124 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 17:31

Hi, I purchased a hair salon a couple yrs ago., it has about 1200sq feet of stained concrete, and the rest is wood..The floor is very faded and never has no shine. I contacted the guy i purchased it from and he said all he knew was that is was fresh concrete, and the color was cola..and he wasn't sure what process was done, but he is going to contact the guy who did it and let me know. My question is, Can i restain it the same color and put the seal, and shine? I really don't know anything about this, but would like to learn to possibly do it ourselves to save money..thanks in advance for anyone that can help
aimee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-Staining concrete?

It's really going to depend on how it was finished. Does water bead up on it or does it soak in?

If it beads up, and the floor doesn't have any sheen, then it's likely that a penetrating sealer of some kind was used and you're not going to be able to restain without completely stripping that sealer. That can require some pretty nasty chemicals, the least nasty effective one potentially being acetone. And you may not be able to strip it completely as concrete is pretty porous and penetrating sealers, well, penetrate pretty deeply. You may have to sand it off. That would require some specialized equipment and the services of a pro to get right.

IF the water soaks in, and you like the look the floor has when wet, then applying a coating of wax and professionally buffing it may be all the floor needs. Or you could apply a pro grade 2 part epoxy in clear to seal it. If the floor still looks faded even when wet, then you'd need to restain it to change it's looks. Acid stain can be a DIY project, if you are very very careful because you'll need to re etch the floor with muriatic acid to clean it and open up the pores. And you need to be very sure you understand how to handle that acid in it's concentrated form, and how to properly remove it from your floor once it's done it's job. It's still not the cheapest thing to do, even DIY, especially with 1200 sq ft, and it will need some type of topcoating like the waxing or epoxy mentioned above.

You might also just consider sanding it and having an industrial two part epoxy paint type surface applied. You see this in many garages and warehouses as it's very chemical resistant (important in a salon, I'd think) and it's also durable to abrasion. It's a bit more "modern" or "industrial" in look than the more natural appearing stained concrete, but it's probably cheaper than doing the stain and then the seal.

If your budget won't stretch to any of these projects, then the least expensive option to change the looks of your floor may be some type of vinyl flooring. But vinyl won't be the most durable surface in a hair salon. The most durable and inexpensive choice would be ceramic tile. It's just that to install tile on an altered slab is a good bet for that tile to come right up.

o

live wire
Thank you so much, I lost my post but so glad i found it.lol
I did the water and sad to say it stayed on top..a few small spots it didn't but most 95% of floor the drops stayed above cement.. So if you don't mind explaining what products i should get to use.
Thanks so much
Aimee

o
HELP! anyone with stained floors

I really need some advice, thanks
aimee

o

You might contact a company that sells concrete stain. They can tell you what to do to strip the floor. Also, here is a link with information that might be helpful.

There are references to other links on that website also. Good luck. I love stained concrete.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Flooring Lady

o

Sand it down to bare concrete and start over or cover it with another type of flooring that doesn't use thinset. Whatever is on the floor can compromise the bond of the thinset and the tile. If you are on a tight budget, there really isn't a solution except putting down some thrift store rugs. Everything that will need to be done will cost some money and most isn't DIY.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here