Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice - Replacing one chipped porcelain tile in new floor

Posted by sillysimms (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 17:16

I just recently had a beautiful polished porcelain floor installed. It isn't cheap tile. The subfloor is concrete. We paid to have it installed on an angle and also paid to have concrete put down to level the floor since the concrete wasn't level after my husband ripped out the old tile that used to be there.

Yesterday, the condo superintendent came to our unit carrying his tool box and dropped it on the floor. This is strong tile, but the tool box was heavy and metal and he managed to put a chip in the brand new floor (put down 2 months ago).

The superintendent said we don't need to take out the tile, we need to put epoxy on the chip. I'm really upset. The chip is noticeable since the entire floor is shiny and beautiful, other than this one dull chip and the floor is new. I don't know anything about epoxy, but the floor isn't just one colour - it looks like marble and the place where the chip occurred isn't just a single colour, so I don't know what epoxy would look like. The superintendent said if we call our installer he'll tell us to use epoxy rather than replace the tile since one tile cannot be taken off a concrete floor without damaging other tiles.

Can anyone advise - can the tile be replaced? I'm going to call our installer, but he's away until after Christmas. I know it's just a chip, but it really bothers me to see it every time I walk in the house. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice - Replacing one chipped porcelain tile in new floor

It's done all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossville polished porcelain repair

o
RE: Advice - Replacing one chipped porcelain tile in new floor

Thanks Jerry for the link and how to repair a tile. I hope my tiles do not chip when they are finally installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here