Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serious splintering of old hardwood floor.

Posted by snarke (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 11 at 17:00

My Seattle neighborhood home has hardwood floors throughout, including the large attic room. The floor of the attic is tongue-and-groove, just over 2" wide and 3/4" thick. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is; my best guess is soft maple. Some of the planks are delaminating along the grain, causing severe splintering problems. I've had my sock catch an edge and tear a 3" long, 1/2" wide "splinter" out of the floor on occasion.

The long-term solution is pretty obvious; get a professional in to deal with it. With luck, it might be possible to sand the floor down to intact wood and reseal, although it will mean taking at *least* 1/8" off the floor, and quite possibly 1/4". Or, it might be that these planks are separating all the way through, and will simply have to be replaced.

However, investing in a permanent solution is not currently affordable. What I need right now is something I can do to keep splinters out of my feet. One option (I think) would be to just work a bunch of putty into the wood and sand it down, but that would leave a giant weird patch. I improved some patches a few months ago by using a belt sander, orbital sander, and hand plane to cut the finish and top layer away, then painting it with white glue, lightly sanding, and then spraying some polyurethane over it. That helped, and while it's still obvious where I worked (because the wood is lighter), it's not nearly as obvious as a wood putty patch would be.

On the other hand, while the white glue stiffened the wood, there are still edges between the layers of grain where it's possible to hook the edge and tear up a new splinter. I'm to the point that I'm considering using some kind of resin that will soak into and fill those gaps, so that I can sand it to a smooth surface, with the resin filling the paper-thin air gap that's opened up between the grain layers in these boards.

What I want to NOT do is something that will over-complicate the eventual professional power-sand/refinish that eventually needs to happen.

I haven't been able to find anybody discussing a similar situation anywhere on the Web. I have a picture of the floor after I've sanded it down with a 24-grit belt. The "before" picture would have looked just about the same, except the wood was darker.

So what do y'all think might work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Splintering Floor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serious splintering of old hardwood floor.

Cover it with inexpensive carpet?

o

Doesn't look like maple to me. Almost looks like some kind of cedar or maybe even chestnut. It looks soft and crumbly. The lifting sections are sometimes called shake.

o

weedy: Mmph. I didn't even think of just slapping some carpet over the top. That's not all that bad an idea. Hmm.

glenn: Chestnut seems unlikely for the Pacific Northwest. The rest of the house is trimmed out in a fairly modest fashion, and was built in 1925, so I'm assuming it would be a local wood. The boards near the splintery one, which have grain more perpendicular to the surface of the floor, have held up extremely well to 80+ years of use. I only guessed at what kind of wood it is in case that makes a difference.

o

Too close of a shot for me to tell what it is.
I would expect you need much less than 1/8" taken off to make a good and serviceable floor. To be safe have it finished with an oil based finish or an acid cure so as not to raise any grain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here