Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good quality prefinished solid oak in the $5/sf range,?

Posted by demeron (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 16:38

Obtainable?

Columbia? Used Mirage in the past and loved it but $7/sf is a little steep for this project. We looked at Lumber Liquidators but I am not liking the reviews I am seeing. Ditto the Bruce from Home Depot. Suggestions? We are trying to come close to our site-finished flooring in the hallway-- doesn't have to be a perfect match, just want something that will install nicely (we'll be doing that part) and hold up well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good quality prefinished solid oak in the $5/sf range,?

It's killed my message twice!

Just wanted to say we were VERY happy with the 1,500 sf of White Mountain (house-label?) solid white oak we bought and installed from Hosking Hardwoods about three years ago. The retailer was very prompt and professional, prices was *very* competitive (about $3.25/sf) and the product quality was far better than I expected at that price point: Long average board length, even coloration, tight grain, excellent milling. (Milled in Canada, not China.)

I would not hesitate to recommend them and plan to buy more wood from them when we need it.

o

I will tell you there a lot of milling issues going on right now with manufacturers that we never had problems with. online sales would concern me a little more right now then it would have even 6 months ago. We see and sell a lot of wood and have had back to back to back issues with different manufacturers just producing poor quality boards. Some finish issues but mostly over lap issues and inconsistent widths. We had to fight like heck with the one manufacturer and threatened not to pay them on 20000 dollars worth of wholesale premium quality wood for a high end customer. If that would have been an online company, everyone involved would have been up the creek more than likely. Just something to gnaw on.

o

Floortech, I wonder if you know of any makers that still do a good job with the flooring for you? Our next large project will probably be to remove our whole house wall to wall carpet and get hardwood. I have leaned toward having engineered wood installed, but have read so many bad reviews that I don't know if we should do this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here