Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tzameret

wood floors -- laying direction

tzameret
9 years ago

Hi
We will be laying wood flooring and are not sure about the direction.
We have spoken to two consultants who recommend opposite directions! One of them is attached.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome!
Thanks!

Comments (11)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

what type of subfloor do you have? If its plywood, how thick is it, and if its not on slab, which way do the joists run?

• tzameret
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The floor underneath is 60 x 60 granite porcelain tiles. This is a new build in an apartment building so I am assuming concrete joists ... but am not sure.

I'm mostly concerned about the aesthetics of the floor direction.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

I understand you want it to look good, but depending on the type of subfloor will determine which way you can safely install it.

If you are on a concrete slab, which you probably are given its in an apt, I would run it North/South.

• tzameret
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!
    Are you suggesting North South because of the sunlight?
    In our case we will get most sun from the east .... and some from the south.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

no, im suggesting north south based off your picture...

top of the picture being north and the bottom being south.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

From strictly an aesthetic point of view, I think the the wood pieces should always run in the direction of travel. Otherwise, it feels like you're crossing a barricade. Strips that run in the same direction as you when entering a room are welcoming, but when turned 90 degrees it's as if you're invading a space.

With that thought in mind, I would turn the wood in the corridor that leads to the back bedroom, and I'd also turn it in the back bedroom (so that both are "North/south" as described). The entry way is a bit odd with the wood running the wrong way as far as I'm concerned, but the immediately visible borders that would result for the main room and the hallway (when turned) wouldn't look right. In the interest of having the entry way looking better, I might turn both it AND the main room to East/West

• User
    9 years ago

I would lay it on the diagonal, from the lower left to the upper right (on the drawing).

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I did my living room diagonally, with the adjoining hall and dining room parallel to the longest wall (and running the long way in the hallway).

In this plan, I'd do the living areas on the diagonal as JFC suggests; the hallway and master bedroom N-S; the bedroom and office could go either way.

• tzameret
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your comments!

It seems like the consensus is clear for the bedrooms/office/corridor leading to them, ie North South.

Though I feel like the priority should be the living areas and entrance.

It's helpful to read the considerations and reasons, since
    for the living area and entrance, there isn't really any consensus!

(Two of you saying on the diagonal, one saying north south and one saying east west.)

I'm finding it so hard to make a decision about it.

I've been told that having the wood run in the direction of travel would show up the the joins in the planks more (than if they were to run "like a barricade or zebra crossing") and in narrower areas (like a corridor or hallway) it would make the area look longer rather than wider.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

I would advise customers to run the flooring from front to back and with the length of the hallway. Running boards across the hallway width usually does not look right...but flooring layouts are aesthetic decisions and what one person may feel looks good another might disagree.

Best solution is to dry lay some of it to give you a preview of what the floor will look like done in different layouts. I would do that for customers who were unsure of directional lay.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Make a defined entrance area by laying the floor East to West from Front door to end of wall on South side of entrance area. Leave the living room area as is but continue floor down hallway and into master bedroom. The master bedroom would look larger with the floor going in the direction of the bed.
    Other two bedrooms are fine as you shown. Door thresholds will define transition from hallway.

glennsfc above has a great suggestion..... lay enough floor down without attaching it to see what it going to look like. The time spent doing that will more than pay for itself.