Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
othertime_gw

Pictures of finished Santos Mahogany Floors, diy

othertime
16 years ago

Well here they are. It was tough work, still need to put in the basemold and fill in top nails.

{{gwi:1569828}}

{{gwi:1569829}}

{{gwi:1569831}}

{{gwi:1569832}}

{{gwi:1569834}}

{{gwi:1569836}}

{{gwi:1569837}}

Comments (18)

• othertime
    Original Author
    16 years ago

3/4 x 3 1/4 nail down.

• jerry_t
    16 years ago

Very nice, you done a real good job there!

• kksmama
    16 years ago

Congratulations! Looks like really nice work, I hope you enjoy the benefits for a very long time! Nice choice with the cabinets, too.

I'm glad I did floors myself once, still remember the feeling of accomplishment even though it was long ago.

• forgotten
    16 years ago

Give that person a job! I've seen so called professionals that can't do that kind of work!

• susanjn
    16 years ago

Lotta WOW factor there!

• othertime
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. It does feel great to do something yourself.

• floorguy
    16 years ago

I agree with forgotten!

Do you need a side job??

• othertime
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After this install I need a good long break... :)

What should I use to fill in the top nail holes? Is there anything that will match the santos color?

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

The floors are beautiful! This is one of my choices that I am considering since I love the color.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Looking at the pics again and thinking I really love the Santos Mahogany and the fact the color does not change much after installation they say. Has that beautiful color changed much? I have narrowed down my choices I think to Santos Mahogany and Amendoim. Has the color changed much?

• othertime
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The floor color has not changed at all. I have had rugs down since the install, going on 8 months, and the wood under the rug is the same color as the wood that is exposed to full light. Thanks for all the comments. The floor is still looking great and is rock solid!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Othertime, Thank you for letting me know the color has not darkened and is still as beautiful. You did a wonderful job in installing the floors and they sure are beautiful and I like that the Santos Mahogany is a very hard wood floor.

What width size did you use and what brand? What is the sheen on the floors since they sure look beautiful?

• othertime
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn, Thanks again for the compliments. The would is 3/4 x 3 1/4. The wood is Santos Mahogany select from Lumber liquidators, it is the Bellawood select prefinished. I read up alot about lumberliquidators quality problems but after inspecting and installing the product I didn't find more than 5% wood that I did not install or just installed in a closet. I was fortunate to find wood from a local fellow off craigslist selling 1500 sq/ft. I got an unbelievable price and jumped all over it. The sheen is just the prefinshed stuff they use at the factory. I think you can read about it at their website.

Overall I think it is a great product even though I have read some horror stories from people on the internet dealing with LL. I think that the horror stories are from people trying to glue down a 3/4 solid to a concrete slab and watching it buckle from moisture.

Let me know if have anymore questions or need some more pictures! Take care.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Othertime, You got a great deal on the wood and it looks perfect in your home to me. I love the coloring and the color variations as well as how hard the Santos Mahogany Wood Floors are. I really need an engineered floor so this would not work for me but I will keep my eyes open for specials in the three wood species I am considering that include the gorgeous Santos Mahogany.

• etzal
    15 years ago

I read that some of the harder exotic species require predrilling and or handnailing to avoid fracturing the tongue. Does santos mahogony require special handling? I am also considering installing 3/4 inch planks with similar hardness. Did you use a regular nail gun? What type of fastener did you use?

• othertime
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lynn!! There are plenty engineered floors out that use a 3/8 santos mahogany top layer which looks great!

Etzal, I did not predril or handnail, but I did have some fracturing of the tongue. I had to play around to get a good entrance angle of the staple and also the psi of the compressor. I used the harbor freight pnuematic stapler with I think used 2 inch staples. Its been a while since I did the install but you should find out how thick your subfloor is before you commit to full 2 inch staples. Some recoment use 1.5 inch staples so you don't blow through your subfloor. You should visit hardwoodflooringtalk(dot)com to get some advise for install if you are doing it yourself. The guys over there are great and the search function was my best friend!

Take care!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Othertime, Thanks for letting me know that if I look, I can find an engineered hardwood floor in the pretty Santos Mahogany that looks great. I just love your floor.

• ewhite
    14 years ago

Wow, Othertime! Those floors are gorgeous! I am considering Santos Mahogany as well but am worried about the light sensitivity. Now that your floors have had a chance to "settle in" are you noticing any color change at all?

Thanks!