Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moisture barrier for laminate floor

Posted by pcthompson (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 15:38

My basement was poured over rigid foam.. I believe it was 3/4" -1' thick. I want to install laminate flooring in one of the basement rooms. Do I still need to install the flooring over a moisture barrier?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moisture barrier for laminate floor

It all depends on the moisture content down there. An easy check is to take a square of plastic wrap....Saran Wrap will work.....about a foot square. Duct tape it completely around the edges and leave it for 1-2 days. See if there is any moisture or "dew" formed inside it. If so, you might be able to use a roll on rubber-type membrane to protect the laminate. If you see LOTS of moisture, there might be hydrostatic pressure under the slab. If that's the case, you have bigger issues and laminate may not be the way to go...

o

It will still need the cushion even if a moisture barrier is superfluous. Might as well buy the standard cushion that also acts as a moisture barrier and not worry about if the subfloor foam was punctured during the pour.

o

I would use an underlayment that serves as both accustical pad and vapor barrier. Floor Muffler with STC at 74 and IIC at 73 is a good one we like a lot for both purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here