Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdintucker

Pulling up tile for carpeting?

kdintucker
9 years ago

This may make some folks cringe but I have tile in two rooms (den and sunroom) and I'm planning to replace with carpet. One is porcelain, the other is the very shiny white squares (sorry for poor description, am not familiar with tile.) The tile is extremely cold and I just want the warmth and softness of carpet underfoot and would prefer wall to wall with padding, not just rugs.

But I'm hearing different messages from my installer about whether or not the old floor has to be pulled up. First insistant that it's the proper way to do it, then when they made a mistake in estimating cost, told me it wasn't necessary after all (hmmmm.....) The surface under the tile in the sunroom is most likely concrete (previous owner installed over original back porch) and is most likely wood subflooring in den. Can anyone offer advice on letting installer put carpet over tile? I'm already thinking I need to move on to another installer but I believe the question will come up again. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (6)