Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Porcelain Tile clean up problem

Posted by rosalita92 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 10 at 10:52

Our contractor installed porcelain tile and sealed the grout. After a major clean up we noticed some grout residue and used a diluted vinegar/water mix to scrub it off. But in doing this we are left with small circles from our scrubbing which are duller than the rest of the tile. Have washed many times but the dullness is not changing. How do I fix this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Porcelain Tile clean up problem

Replace the tile.
You may have micro scratched the surface, or if he sealed over the grout and tiles, you may have abraded off the sealer.

o

Prior to doing anything extreme, I'd recommend using a commercial grout haze remover on the tile.

Depending on how long the residue has been there, if less than 10 days use a standard grout haze remover, even one designed for clean up during the grouting process itself. If over 10 days you sometimes need to step up to something stronger, along the lines of a phosphoric acid cleaner.

Caveat, the stronger the product, the more damage you can do.

I recommend calling Aqua Mix tech support, 800-282-8786 and relating to them the products used.

After using the removers if you still have variations you could rent a buffer to try to even out the overall sheen of the floor, but it really depends on what is causing the areas of dullness. Residual haze or tile abrasion?

If it was sealed, the porcelain shouldn't have been sealed. No reason, it's not porous. Sealer over porcelain can cause problems instead of preventing them.

A question or comment though...the tiler should be responsible for cleaning up the original haze. Not you.

o

It is mentioned ""diluted vinegar/water mix to scrub it off""

What tool was used to scrub with?

Hand?
Washcloth?
Brillo pad?
Steel wool?
Scruffy pad?

o

Thanks folks. Floorguy, I used a regular nylon bristle brush. Any fix you know of?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here