Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honey17pot

engineered wood floors, who are best manufacturers??

tamter
9 years ago

have spent a lot of time researching mfgers on internet. plan to install 750 sq ft engineered hardwood in great and dining room and need your opinion and knowledge on most reputable and quality manufacturers? seeking input on Bella Cera and Johnson? anyone have first hand experience or knowledge? bella cera website quite extensive with info, whereas Johnson website, no so much. this will not be cheap and want to buy quality product that will last. thanks!

Comments (4)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

some of the best stuff I have ever installed has been Owens.

Bella Cera has been a toss up, gotta lucky a few times and had some issues other times.

Never touched Johnson.

only my opinion, you get what you pay for imo.

• jfcwood
    9 years ago

The Bella Cera and Johnson we have installed get a similar review from me. The milling and finish are nice, but the top veneers are a bit thin. It really depends on how long you intend to be in the house and how much you want to spend. If you're looking at Bella Cera, I assume you're looking at something textured or hand scraped. You'll be hard pressed to find many floors that are hand scraped that have a thicker top layer in a reasonable price range.

• snowbean
    9 years ago

We have commercial grade Armstrong engineered wood floors. In the end no matter what the floor manufacturers will use all sorts of tactics to avoid paying for warranty replacement or repair. This came from our Armstrong certified installers who have ten plus years of experience. Even with our commercial grade super duper warranty our floors have scratches dings , despite how we protect our floors from visitors. We don't wear shoes indoors and we don't have pets / young children dropping objects . We overpaid and we won't do this again on our next flooring project. Lengthy impressive Warranties doesn't seem to reflect the quality in my case.

• PRO
    Carpet One Columbia
    9 years ago

Mirage and Mercier are probably the best North American manufacturers that I have had experience with. They are all drysawn (just like solid hardwood), can be fully sanded and refinished just like solid wood, and they both have flexible finishes that will conform to dents and dings rather than fracture and split. Figure 2 - 5% for grading and you will have plenty left over. Bella Cera is a private label product shipped in from China with decent quality. The finish of Mirage and Mercier will also not yellow over time and is clearer than other finishes I've seen giving you the true look of the wood. Keep in mind that the hardness of the finish does nothing to increase the hardness of the wood, so be sure to select the species that will best serve your projected needs. One final note about Mercier - they are the only manufacturer who have zero VOCs in their product (finish, veneers, and the adhesive used to bond the veneers).

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994