Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Danish Oil on Oak Floor?

Posted by rmiriam (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 10:03

I need an objective third party...I am refinishing all the original 1949 hardwoods in my house and extending the wood into another room. My floor refinisher wants to use one coat of Watco Danish Oil on the floors, and he says that will be sufficient to protect them. I have a todder, and want an oil-based finish so it can be repaired, but I'm not sure this will do it. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Danish Oil on Oak Floor?

Watco makes a very nice finish on furniture that won't be abused (not recommended for tabletops). That typically takes a half dozen coats or more, a lot of hand rubbing, and provides essentially no protection against spills and such. I haven't had much success in "repairing" rings left from wet glasses, etc. For a floor I would go the other way and use a tough polyurethane (eg Bona Traffic) that doesn't need to be repaired in any normal usage situation.

o

Yea. Go with the urethane. You will be happy the first time your kid throws anything on the floor.

Today you have options as far as a water bourne urethane or a oil based poly. Both work similar. Although the oil based is smellier and requires more time to dry/cure

o

Thanks to both of you. That's what I thought, but everyone in my neighborhood uses this guy, and has for 30 years. Guess he's not keeping up with the times.

o

I'd suggest both. A penetrating oil to bring out the beauty of the wood, then a tough poly for the topcoating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here