Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaansu

repair of deep scratches in new oak floor

jaansu
13 years ago

It seems my son tilted his chair and created a few shallow gouges in our 1 yr old sanded in oak floor. They are not particularly noticeable but do seem to have penetrated the poly and stain finish. Can I improve the appearance and durability if I first try to match the surrounding color by using a wood stain and then cover with new poly? I'd like to try to level these gouges somehow. I have heard shellac sticks mentioned in this forum and it sounded as if these could be melted into scratches and might level them off. Any thoughts?

The chairs do have felt pads but tilting the chair got around them. Someone told me these pads need to be replaced 4X a year. Why so frequently?

Comments (7)

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

Sorry, can't help you with the gouge problem. My wood floor is starting to get some scratches, or as we call them "memory marks" and I'm just learning to live with them. They're not severe and add character to the floor.

Replacing the felt pads often is like low-cost insurance for your floor. Since the chairs are generally in the same vicinity (by table or island), where food and shoe dust collect, having clean felt is wise. As pads collect the grit they become almost like sand paper on the floor. Plus, the felt can shift position due to the weight and movement of the chair so they need to be checked periodically.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been cleaning the pads monthly with a small wire brush, figuring the dirt/grit would drop out. Seems to work.

• woodfloorpro
    13 years ago

Heavily used chair pads crush and loose there effectiveness. The grit no longer is pushed up into the pad but down into the finish. This is especially true of chairs who's legs are not cut parallel to the floor. Taller chairs - bar stools are greater offenders because the users tend to tilt them more increasing the pressure on the back quarter of the legs.

If the denting you describe is too offensive to you it can be filled with epoxy and recoated by a professional.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Woodfloorpro. It really isn't that offensive as it exists under the table, but I would like to keep it from allowing water to penetrate the poly. I assume by epoxy you mean the two tube stuff. I've seen some posts that suggest clear nail polish would work for small gouges as well.

• woodfloorpro
    13 years ago

I really have no idea how hard nail polish is but see no reason why it would not at least keep the bare wood from turning dark from moisture. The sheen level could be dulled by using a very fine sand paper ~400 grit.

• floorguy
    13 years ago

Take your clear fingernail polish, and paint a few coats on the exposed wood fibers.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks woodfloorpro. I have a test piece of oak in my workshop where I am filling holes using my wife's nailpolish and typical two tube clear epoxy. The epoxy seems to fill the hole well over a couple of appliations.