Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Has anyone installed StareCasing (stair overlay)?

janeway452
9 years ago

I have about 4 split stair treads on my hardwood stairs. I've considered the hardwood tread and riser overlay called StareCasing. It looks like a fairly simple solution and their videos make it look really nice. Has anyone had any experience with this? Would you recommend?

Comments (3)

• hippy
    9 years ago

Installed StareCasing on three out of four different jobs. The one that I would not install it on had two 2x's stacked on top of each other as the steps and the lip of the casing would not cover it properly. The new casing would not cover the entire step without first removing the top 2x step. The home owner did not want it removed.

It is easy to install as long as you measure and cut correctly. Then before brad nailing the riser in place. Make sure that it will fit the next step up correctly (no gaps) before brad nailing it into place. Good to have some 1/8 and 1/4" plywood strips on hand before you start to use as shims if need.

Tips.... Measure and cut each step individually. Do not get the false impression that if a 36" step casing fit the first step that a 36" one will fall into place on the second, middle or top step. I cut the steps from bottom to top first and number them. Then start laying them and working with the risers as I go up.

If you want a good tight fit along the wall. Cut the steps a blade width to wide. Scribe the wall with a pencil on the step and use a belt sander to sand to the scribe mark on the step.

Use only a good quality Polyurethane construction adhesive when installing the steps. Elmer's wood glue does not work.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, hippy, for a good how to. I probably worded this question wrong. I'm not going to do the work myself, but your tips will marke me more knowledgeable if I go that way with a contractor.

Here's my deal:

The bottom step has a good split in it. It was there when I bought the house and it looks bad, but hasn't gotten worse and doesn't create any problems. Then, several years ago one step split in the middle. When you step on it in bare feet you can feel it move and sometimes even pinch a little. I now have 3 or 4 like this (along with the bottom step.) I'd like to fix this, even replace the steps (tear them out and put in new hardwood). I'm guessing that to try to replace just the split steps would be as involved as replacing all. The wall part would have to be pulled off right? The StareCasing system seemed like it might be a no mess way to replace the steps, but I worried that I'd loose inches and steps that aren't that big to begin with. If so, would the loss of inches be noticeable?

If you came to house and I said I have these split steps, what would you suggest to correct, what would you suggest?

• vijishanmugam
    7 years ago

Can you recommend someone in AZ who can do stare casing. The guy who did that did a very sloppy job and I have to do 2 more stairs plus 11 risers.