Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubber backing on scatter rug harm wood floor

Posted by deltablueroom (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 7:59

I'm moving into new home with hardwood flooring. If I get a small scatter rug for kitchen that has a rubber backing, will if damage or discolor hardwood floor? Thanks for your insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubber backing on scatter rug harm wood floor

It is never recommended to put an area rug with a rubber backing onto hardwood flooring. Most manufacturers state that you should only put a rug that is "breathable" on top of a wood floor.

Sometime moisture will get under the rug and if it cant breathe that moisture will continue to sit on top of the hardwood floor causing damage.

o

Thank you mpeterson, you answered my question.

o

Polyester latex backing, OTOH, will not harm wooden floors. When in doubt, use a non-backed rug, and a padding that is guaranteed for all types of flooring. You can find them in various levels of quality at carpet stores, flooring stores, or the Bed Bath Beyond and JCPenney type of stores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here