Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat123_gw

cleaning hardwood floors & tile floors

kat123
9 years ago

What's best way to clean hardwood floors.... how can I sanitize them without harming the wood? Also, we have new tile floors in our baths & new tile in our showers. What is a safe cleaner that won't hurt the floors & showers, BUT sanitizes, as well?

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Call me crazy but i don't believe you want to be wet mopping hardwood flooring. Damp mop maybe, wet mop only if want to risk ruining the flooring. Maybe they cover it with epoxy ralph........

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Damp mop only on the hardwood.

For the tile...any cleaning solution made to clean tile surfaces. Any product that contains small amounts of bleach or another disinfectant will work fine. Read the product labels.

• PRO
    Carpet One Columbia
    9 years ago

You may try Mirage hardwood cleaner. We have tried almost all of the major brands (Bona x, Basic Squeaky clean, various Armstrong and Bruce cleaners) and they all left a funky film. The Mirage cleaner has a nice, not overwhelming scent and it cuts the crud leaving behind a nice streak-free hardwood floor.

• handmethathammer
    9 years ago

What is your tile? I installed Travertine tile in my laundry/mudroom/office and learned not to use vinegar and water. That is my mainstay for cleaning floors. So far, I have been using Mr. Clean and a rag mop on it or Swiffer wet.

For the hardwood, I have used the Swiffer wet, but I prefer a damp mop with vinegar and water. It is cheap, easy and doesn't leave a sticky residue. I admit I don't mop it often enough, but go over it with a microfiber mop daily and spot clean the kitchen area.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    9 years ago

For any ceramic, porcelain or stone (travertine) floor, simply be sure you use a neutral PH cleaner....

• Carol Fontana
    9 years ago

I use boma on my hardwood floors. The floor people do not recommend water or vinegar on floors that are coated with poly. If your wood floors are sealed with poly there is not a need to sanitize. Boma works great.

• kat123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I really appreciate your input.

• happyallison
    9 years ago

When I had my hardwoods refinished the floor guy said to just use a vinegar and water solution, followed by a dry rag.

kat123 thanked happyallison
  • gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Industry is actually leaning away from using vinegar and water solutions. I think mostly because there wasnt a clear consensus as to how much to mix. and those who mixed too much vinegar had issues with the finish.

You can dust mop all day everyday, no harm no foul. Generally all you need is a damp rag to get a "wet" clean. and then periodically use a chemical cleaner if so desired. many grocery stores and big box stores sells a variety of good products specifically for wood floors.

kat123 thanked gregmills_gw
  • happyallison
    9 years ago

Interesting, I can see that. Thank you for sharing, I'll be installing new hardwoods soon.

kat123 thanked happyallison
  • kat123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I may stick with Bona, unless Lazy Gardens wants to come over and lick my floors! Hey, Lazy Gardens, what's up with your sarcasm?? This website isn't the place for tacky remarks.

• PRO
    n/a n/a
    7 years ago

Believe it or not, we ALWAYS recommend using an ammonia-free Windex or similar product to clean hardwood flooring. The ammonia-free windex is strong enough to clean just about anything that's on your hardwood floor, and gentle enough to mist and wipe with a dry Swiffer daily. Because the product evaporates quickly, it reduces the risk of seeping into the seams of the wood planks. If and when an oil-based formula is used like a Murphy's oil or something similar, the hardwood develops a kind of "dependency" on the oil, and you'd have to continue to use the same product. Anything with harsh chemicals like ammonia or even vinegar, is advised against because it will dull and eventually damage the finish.

General cleaning for a hardwood floor should consist of removing surface dirt with a vacuum and a hardwood flooring attachment that has a fuzzy end, and then a mist of ammonia-free windex, wiped up with something like a dry Swiffer.

Here's a link about hardwood flooring general care and maintenance tips:

Hardwood floor care and maintenance tips

Also, check us out on our Facebook page here:

Facebook/The Couture Floor Company