Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr__reasonable

Dents When You Just Look At It! - Somerset Red Oak Flooring

Mr._Reasonable
12 years ago

Of course that is an exaggeration. But I grew up with hardwood floors as a kid and we never had such problems. This stuff dents so easily!

I'm not abusing the flooring. I bought soft rubber casters and tips for all the chairs. Felt pads are under everything else. We wipe our feet before we step on the floor. No kids. No dogs. I weigh 165 pounds and my wife is about 115.

Take off my shoes to walk in my house!? Make my visitors do that? Absurd.

I have two questions. When did hardwood flooring become soft? Did I get a defective run?

Has anyone NOT had this problem? If not, when did you get your flooring? How long ago?

If you did have this problem how did you resolve it?

Comments (9)

• glennsfc
    12 years ago

I agree with Floortech's post regarding the "furniture like" factory applied finishes on some hardwood flooring. Site finished hardwood can also be problematic in this respect when the finishing contractor produces these furniture like results.

Somerset is a factory finished product.

• glennsfc
    12 years ago

Ooops...they also produce unfinished hardwood.

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

My experience is with engineereds. I agree that they are not the same as good old fashioned solid hardwoods I grew up with and see around with their beautiful patinas. They delaminate with a spill sometimes very easily if you're not there to get it up immediately. Little pieces of wood chip out of the flooring with pet claws. The newer ones have the aluminum oxide that scratches unnaturally white. I grew up with a menagerie of pets and kids and this type of thing did not happen with that floor. It was wax and did get some stains but it was good solid wood. Very impressive kitchen store who really knows his stuff says they only do solids and they hold up great. He wouldn't bother with the engineered stuff, pfft. The installs at their store did not look like the furniture type prefinisheds. They were still beautiful with natural patina from years of store abuse.

I'm trying another engineered this time around, out of necessity, but would much rather have a traditional 3/4 solid finished on site. At least they can be restored down the road. Who wants to replace their floors every 15 years. That's not why you get hardwoods. If this one doesn't hold up either, it will be painted if possible.

• woodfloorpro
    12 years ago

I've got to step in on the engineered question.

Rotary cut engineered I will not sell. They are the ones with 90% of the problems. Cut or sawn engineered can be the very best choice in wood flooring depending on the manufacturer. A high quality 3 or 4mil. surface layer is as permanent of a wood floor as any solid.

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

When I brought the issues up, all the flooring stores stood behind engineering and most seemed to say it's better. That these new ALO finishes would not have those problems.

How do you tell if a floor is rotary cut or sawn? I did not come across that when looking.

• inspector
    12 years ago

Check the link for an outline of the processes Samantha. Generally most products should say in their spec how the wear layers are sawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotary, Slicing and Sawning Veneer

• woodfloorpro
    12 years ago

The best finish in the world (whosoever that may be) will not protect a floor from denting. That is where the density (hardness) of the wood itself comes in.
    Today's choices of incredibly hard woods is a recent phenomenon made possible by modern milling equipment.Today's choices are so far removed from what was possible 50 years ago that we have come to expect performances for all wood flooring that some wood's are just not capable of delivering.

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

Thanks inspector. I am trying to find out what this new floor is. I don't know where the specs are. There was nothing on the ad. I should have researched the mil before buying but only did my own testing of products based on past experience. This one seemed to hold up well and had the more rustic appearance that I wanted.

I don't mind dents dings scratches. I love patina. The furniture finish floors are unrealistic, imo. It's the delamination (if that's the correct term) that's ridiculous. They shouldn't be allowed to make floors like that, imo. It's a floor. They're expensive and take a lot of abuse as such.