Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood floor baseboard help

Posted by all4lafter (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 11 at 0:04

Hi - I have red oak floors select...I believe #2(currently natural finish). The floors are being refinished with a cherry stain. Our current baseboards and moldings around the doors/windows are hemlock with a natural finish. I understand if hemlock is stained, it may be "splotchy" as the softer wood will absorb the stain unevenly. I am wondering if others have used stained oak or stained hemlock baseboards with their oak floors and how they look? I am also wondering if oak baseboards will look "odd" against the natural hemlock trim on our doors, as the hemlock is very smooth/no grain compared to oak. New to this and have a difficult time visualizing, so any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood floor baseboard help

I believe that there is some way to treat soft wood so that it will take stain evenly. Someone else may be able to help you with the product either in the paint store, or a painter. Mary

o

Thanks for the tip! I'll ask about this before we move forward. Karen

o

Rather than having contrasting wood tones at the wall/floor conjunction you might consider painting the wall trim. Just my two cents!

Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Floor and Wall Trim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here