Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkfan

1st post - Elegance Hardwood Flooring - Floor & Decor

lkfan
10 years ago

This is my first post so please be kind to me.

We are remodeling our house and after weeks of looking at hardwood flooring, we decided on Telina Taun from Floor & Decor.

We're looking to cover approximately 1000 ft so I Googled reviews of the manufacturer (Elegance). There are two very bad Yelp reviews and another forum that discounts the reviews, saying that it must be an installation error.

Does anyone have any experience with Elegance Flooring? The wood is in our price range and we finally found the color we liked but I'm really nervous about these negative reviews.

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Without knowing what the "bad reviews" were complaining about, it's impossible to say if it was defects or installation errors.

How thick is the "wear layer" (the top layer of wood) compared to other enginerred floors?

If you follow the directions to the letter, moisture test the slab, use a moisture barrier if needed and use the right adhesive at the right quantity (if glue-down), you should have no problems.

Floor satisfaction is all about the SUBFLOOR the top layer covers ... make sure yours is adequate and in excellent shape.

They are members of the National Wood Flooring Association and ISO 9000 and 14001 certified, so they are taking some care. Getting the ISO certification is not easy or cheap.

• lkfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply and for the information about the certification.

We are installing onto a raised foundation - 2/3 will be in our existing home and 1/3 will be in a den that we just added onto the house.

The negative reviews were both on Yelp. One person complained about a cloudy film after several years. The other complained about popping, cracking and de-lamination. I'm not a flooring expert so I'm not sure if those symptoms could have been avoided with proper installation or whether it is a manufacturers' defect.

For what it is worth, we're looking at hardwood floors - 5/8" thick x 4.75" wide.

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elegance Telina Taun

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Be very very careful shopping with them. We toured their store here, and most of their products are either seconds or poor quality Chinese produced private label products that can't really be comp shopped elsewhere. The only well known name brands, like Bruce, were all seconds.

• lkfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

live_wire_oak, Thank you for your help.

When you talk about touring their store, are you talking about Floor and Decor or Elegance? If Elegance, what type of work are you in that enabled you to be able to tour their store?

• remodelwood
    10 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering if you ever installed the Elegance wood? We found a mallacan cherry from Elegance, solid hardwood and love the look of it. I am nervous to purchase it though b/c I can't find much information about this company online. If you have any additional information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

• lkfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We purchased it and plan on installing it next week. I don't know what your time frame is but I can post my thoughts after it is installed.

I like the Malacan Cherry as well - very rich color.

• remodelwood
    10 years ago

We are planning to install in the next month or so. I would love to hear about it after you get it installed. I appreciate you posting your thoughts after you get the floor installed.

Thanks very much and I hope it all goes smoothly!

• lkfan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Follow up post as our floors are installed and look great! Our installers were impressed with the quality of the wood. The planks had substantial grooves to fit together and there were very few (if any) pieces that were too short to use.

One odd thing to pay attention to is the small print in the paperwork that comes with the wood. Make sure you have the info in writing in case you need to file a claim.

It says: http://www.elegancewoodflooring.com/images/Elegance_Installation.pdf

Installer should have a defined method of installation based on the following.
    a) Result of testing of the slab or sub floor.
    b) Result of the testing of the atmosphere for relative humidity.
    c) The installer or an independent agent must document all site tests.
    d) All site test records must be available if the homeowner files a claim

Here is a link that might be useful: Elegance Flooring Installation Instructions

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus