Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samantha111_gw

Bathroom Threshold

Samantha111
12 years ago

I've got wood flooring going in and the bathroom threshold is high! It would work out to 1-5/8" above the new floor. This is a hall bathroom. It's a stone threshold that's been placed over a double layer of backerboard.

How are things like this handled?

Comments (5)

• Samantha111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a photo of the doorway:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Floortech
    12 years ago

We would do a custom built wood reducer to match your hardwood..

• Samantha111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Floortech.

So you run into them this high often enough and arrive at good solutions? Can you tell me just what the custom reducer would look like? Any photos available that you've done or on the net?

They said something about adding a ready made oak threshold or doing ramping. I didn't understand how either would come together. I don't think they are experienced with something this high.

• floorman67
    12 years ago

We would recommend to raise the hardwood area by a thickness sufficient enough to allow the new hardwood finish floor height to cover the tile backer board thickness, and enough to not be a tripping hazzard if that is a concern to you. This might be cost prohibative depending on the size of the hardwood area and any other transitions additional height would affect.

Ramping effect will be visible at the baseboards (think of a triangle), and if not feathered out enough, it could be seen in the hardwood itself as light hits it, and possibly affect the installation integrity if not feathered out to at least 1/8th inch in 8 feet for a height tolerance (waviness). The latter depends on the products installation requirements which may vary from product to product. Since this is a hallway area, you very well may not have enough floor space to allow for adequate ramping under the hardwood to maintain asthetics and to be within manufacturer recommended height tolerances (waviness).

A transition strip may make it look like what it is. Covering up someones screw up, and by screw up I mean lack of forethought before the tile went in. Ideally this should have been taken care up by lowering the tile floor finish height to adequately transition into the hardwood.

In the end, whats your primary concern ?

Looks or money ?

If its money, go with a transition strip.

• lolli
    10 years ago

Samantha111,

We are in the exact same situation! Contractor installed master bathroom subfloor and it is 1/4" higher than the finished cherry floor in the master bedroom - argh. With tile and heated floor we will be 1 1/2" over the finished bedroom floor. What did you end up doing? Transition or raise the wood floor? Are you happy with it? Any pics?

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!