Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterlox and matching new/old floor

Posted by arc2v (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 22:15

As part of our kitchen/great room reno, I am about to finish the flooring. A wall came out and we continued the plugged red oak floor in the family room into the kitchen.

I wove the floor in and from a physical layout they look perfect. However, I now have half the room bare and half with really bad flaking poly finish.

We have 4 gallons of waterlox to finish with and the plan was to rent a random orbit floor sander and use my palm sander and corner sander to knock off the old poly and remove the mill marks from the new.

The only thing I am worried about now is having an obvious transition from old to new. There is a lot of color variation in both floors, which will help, but I'm worried one will be pale and the other amber or dark/light, etc.

Any advice on what to look for?
Will I be able to tell when I do a mineral spirits wipe down if the color will match?
Can an extra coat of waterlox on one or the other darken it, or does the color get pretty consistent after the third coat?

All help appreciated!
Thanks,
Anthony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterlox and matching new/old floor

Assuming the flooring is from the same general geographic area the color of the wood should match. New and old oak sand equally clean unlike firs, pine and maples where old boards gain a patina not matched by the new. If you sand the floors completely clean you will have no problem matching them together.

Sanding the floor with the rental equipment as you mentioned will take a l o n g time to get it clean enough. On the up side you will not screw it up with the large orbitals as you may with the traditional drum sander and edger. Your palm sander is not likely to be up to the task of removing the old finish. A scrapper sharpened often will help if first used to remove the bulk of finish left by the large machine.

o
RE: Waterlox and matching new/old floor

Luckily it isn't a huge area, about 225 sqft old finish and about 275 feet new.

I have to hand scrape the grooves, so I will be sure to keep my regular scraper handy for leftover finish.

Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here