Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateb22_gw

Need help chosing wood flooring!!!

KateB22
10 years ago

Hi
We are building a smallish beautiful new home (2000 sq ft). It is framed in now and I am trying to decide what kind of wood flooring I will put in. I cannot decide at all! I have so far gotten some samples but I need to find a store where there are big displays so I can get a better idea. I thought about it a lot and think I will go w- unfinished (builders will then finish) rather than prefinished. We will be having radiant floor heating so I think I will go with a 4 inch or so wide rather than wide plank. I know I don't want to stain it. What I need help with is- which wood?? I have no idea!! Some I have been considering are: birch, beech, maybe maple but I doubt it, maybe white oak which I like in some ways but really don't in others. I just don't know! I don't know what color I want. I know I don't want pine or red oak.

I think I want the whole house one type of wood- can you please suggest beautiful woods floors to me? I know there are different birch trees but does birch wood come in different types too and do they look different? I am open to suggestions other than those- I still have no idea! It is a classic looking houseand will have muted whites off whites and light colors for the walls, white trim and molding. What is a beautiful wood to put in? thanks

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Your choices are limited by the radiant heat ... make sure that the installation directions and the product specifications say that it's OK over radiant heat.

Then pick from what's left.

basically - light or dark? Strong grain or little grain? Lots of bariation in color versus little?

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the response. My builder and some radiant floor ppl have told me as long as it is not too wide any floor will be okay. The thing is I am just not sure what I want in terms of light dark, I think maybe not grainy vs grainy-- ugh it is just so hard for me to look at a small piece of it and picture how it will look in a whole house! Do some stores have big displays?

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got samples of white oak and of birch. I do not like the oak. The birch is ok but probably too yellow.
    I also have smaples of American cherry. I LOVE how it looks when it is new before it darkens. But I know cherry darkens a lot and gets orange red and I do ot like that look for floors. Is there anything that looks the way cherry does before it darkens? I want to go with unstained, btw.

• Babtastic
    10 years ago

Consider Maple. It is much harder than birch and clearer than oak.
    A smooth finish will show every scratch whereas a handscraped or distressed finish will obscure wear. A factory applied aluminum oxide finish is more durable than an on site polyurethane job.

• User
    10 years ago

I have to admit to being prejudiced but I like White Oak. I like the color in general and the significant variations in color. It can be finished anywhere from white to black so it can be changed to suit different decorating schemes. Unlike Maple, it has surface texture so it will not show scuffs and scratches as readily. If you can afford it, I would recommend looking into rift and quarter sawn cut. It's more stable and doesn't have the prominent Oak grain that many people dislike.
    I have seen there are two types of Birch, red and yellow. Both seem to look good in natural color. I have stained some Yellow Birch successfully. Red Birch seems to be rarely used for flooring. Beech looks very similar to Yellow Birch but has a slightly more red cast and I've read it's less stable than Birch or Oak.
    It's not necessarily a reason to pick a certain floor but since I do it for a living, I often consider whether a product will be available in the future. Picking something that you can find in the future might be vital if you have any damage or decide to do an addition or alteration.

• User
    10 years ago

If you like the color of American Cherry but want something harder, look at Cumaru or Amendoim. Neither darkens as much as the Cherry.

• billyblanks30
    10 years ago

What about Dark Walnut colour for a smokier, more brownish look? I'm a fan of that: http://www.kustomtimber.com.au/our-range.html

Here is a link that might be useful: My Site

• KateB22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am looking at red birch now-- the photos look beautiful but I still need to get a sample