Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navychic

Hardwood Transition Question

navychic
9 years ago

We just got new solid hardwood floors installed followed by carpet. Overall, there are some issues with the entire project, but I'm willing to live with them except the transitions which I strongly feel need to be fixed (again).

So the hardwood guys install first (as recommended to us) and put a transition piece down that I think is called "reducer molding" that fits in on the hardwood side and then rounds off and terminates on the plywood (with no area for carpet tucking). I thought this was unusual as I excepted the carpet to get tucked under something. I specifically ask the guy and he verifies this is correct. The T-molding sits unused.

Carpet (berber) guys come and say it is wrong and they should have used T-molding. They install the carpet and leave extra for the hardwood guys to come back and fix.

Different hardwood guy comes out to fix it. He installs the T-molding directly over the reducer with a nail gun placed directly over the molding. It looks okay except one area that doesn't match up and is uneven and he points this area out and blames the angulation on the original install of the reducer which he has installed over.

Other than that part, it would look fine. Here's my biggest issue:

If you step on it, it rocks back and forth and feels totally amateur. My guess is that this thing will crack in a matter of months the way it is flexing.

My dear husband was home when the "fix" happened and he didn't think to step on it.

So anyway, I have no issue complaining about this, but I really don't know what I should be asking for in the fix.

What is the standard here? The more I implore google on the issue the more confused I get. Was there supposed to be some sort of track to install into?

Pretty unsatisfied at this point and now all the other issues I was willing to live with are starting to make me even more angry.

Comment (1)