Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Confused: what is 'field tile' porcelain tile?

pinktoes
16 years ago

I can't get a clear explanation of this. I'm looking for porcelain tile--mostly for floors, some different ones for walls. I search for colorthrough porcelain tile. And then within those I see "Field Tile". Seems like most of it says that. What does this mean?

I'm looking for very smooth floor tiles for the entire house. No ridges or texturing to make it look like natural stone. The smoother surface is easier to clean.

Can anyone help me here?

Comments (7)

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gigabit: thanks. I was WAY off on what I thought it meant. I read your link. I was thinking I wanted colorthrough porcelain, unglazed, for the same color all the way through, so when you drop a cast iron frying pan on it, the chip is the same color. (Which I have done!)

But I've had my glazed ceramic tile floors throughout this house for 10 years now, and only that one chip in the kitchen. So, this is not a major problem. For the new house, maybe I should consider the same tiles again. My only concern is these floors are a bit slippery for us, and we're getting older. I'll have to see if there are any glazed ceramic that have a higher COF (I think that's what you call it.)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

FWIW, most solid body porcleain is less slippery than glazed tile, either porcelain or ceramic.

It's also VERY nice if you are doing any sort of pattern that's going to require significant cuts. They don't show at all with a good solid body.

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oruboris: Good to know about the cuts. I'm trying to walk a narrow line between too-slippery and too-hard to clean. Glazed ceramic cleans like a dream!

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

I installed an unglazed, through-body color porcelain tile as part of my kitchen remodel. Its surface is perfectly flat, but slightly rough. Even when its wet I don't find it slippery at all, and I've had no trouble keeping it clean, especially since I used a "stain proof" epoxy grout. Although with the tile's natural stone look, it is somtimes difficult to seewhen there is dirt on it.

{{gwi:1405606}}

• pinktoes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bob cville: I'm considering a similar one to yours, darker color, but I was worried about that rough finish. Almost feels like fine sand or sandpaper. Even though there is no unevenness on the tiles. I was afraid things would stick on it. I'll go look at it again.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Yeah, I find my unglazed porcelain just as easy to clean as my glazed ceramics. Since nothing can stain it, everything washes right off-- except for the gum my bull terrier tried to eat. She left tiny bits of it all over the kitchen, and it blended right in-- till it was stuck down and dirty. Came right up with a scaper, though.

And it does hide dirt really well.

Silly me: I put a glazed ceramic in my coat room and laundry room. Also easy to maintain, but far more slick when you come in with wet feet.