Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minwax stain for kitchen hardwood

Posted by slance66 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 20:44

Our kitchen is being completely remodled. It has been gutted to the studs. Our plan is to use 3.5 in oak (not sure if it will be red or white). Cabinets are maple pained BM Acadia White.

Looking at pictures on the forum, Minwax English Chestnut looked perfect. A nice reddish medium brown in the photos. Tried it on a strip of oak and...just brown. No red tones at all. It looks unlike every picture I've seen of it. Am I missing something? Tried Red Oak...also straight brown. Gunstock was completely red. None look as they should.

I'm at a loss. Existing hardwood in the hall, living and dining rooms is a yellowish butterscotch we hate. We also do not want anything that looks like a dark brown - walnut color. Red Mahogany might be too dark, but seems like the right color. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minwax stain for kitchen hardwood

We just had our floors refinished (to get rid of the old, very worn, butterscotch look) so I understand your challenge. i wanted a warm medium-brown that wasn't orange-y. The look I was aiming for is the larger photo when you scroll down in the link below, which reads "This is more what our floors look like today" or something similar.

Studying the photo I decided I wanted to highlight the grain but to also allow the individual colors of the boards to show through. I liked the life in this floor. It took me a while to realize that I was looking for a less opaque stain (hence the natural). I have NO idea what stains were used on the floor in the photo (and cannot give credit since I don't know the origin of the photo), but I feel we achieved something really close using a mix of 1 provincial: 1 jacobean : 2 natural. This was on red oak, using a different brand of stain (Bona), with solvent-based Swedish finish over it. I think using 2 parts natural allow the red tint of the red oak to show on some boards, which makes it warm. I am crazy about our new floors.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: similar look to our floors

o
RE: Minwax stain for kitchen hardwood

Thanks. Last night, frustrated with my sample, I thought, "why not put actual Mahogany down"? Looked at pictures of Santos Mahogany and it looks gorgeous. We already planned to keep the entry and other rooms lighter, so why match the wood? Anyone try Mahogany in the kitchen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here