Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardwood and brick hearth finishing

Posted by wendyb (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 20:36

How should this be finished off? caulk? grout? nothing? Should the wood have been scribed to the uneven brick?

The wood installer did knock off some of the brick high points or the gap would have been even bigger!!

Oh and the bricks and the mortar are faux painted so it would be nearly impossible to touch up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardwood and brick hearth finishing

I think it should have been done like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: undercut firplace

o

very nice. I'm not sure I grasp the technical issues of the undercutting. In my case, I don't think I had the hearth height to work with to do that. Your pics seem to have brick taller than floor. I also have some leveling issues with my hearth overall. Its not all the same height. Some cases the wood is taller than the bricks. Some its flush.

In any case, what do I do now?

Is undercutting brick or stone hearth typical for a flooring installer?

o

Undercutting is supposed to be standard. I'm going to be doing it this weekend with a floating floor I'm putting in.

In the first photo the trim piece appears to be higher than the rest of the floor. Is that not the case?

I'd be inclined not to fill in those cracks, I think it will look best the way it is.

That said, there are some tile guys who can make sanded matching caulk look really good, but tiles are a straight edge.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile wood transition with caulk

o

the trim is definitely flush with the floor. Must be the angle from the bad photographer. Its not exactly trim. Its just a floor piece turned the other way with a bevel on the brick side.

So is undercutting possible when the brick is lower than the hardwood? Its confusing me. THe former w/w carpet hid all this unevenness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here